Help finding Marriage certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding Marriage certificate

I am trying to find the marriage certificate of Elizabeth Freeman Dawson and William James Fraser.

Elizabeth Freeman Dawson was born in Westminster on the 1st June 1853

William James Fraser was born in Westminster in about 1849 (I have not managed to find his actual birth date, but the 1861 census has him living at 10 Great Peter Street, Westminster with his father William, mother Mary and brothers Peter & Henry).

Their first child (William James) was born in 1877 in Croydon.

Elizabeth Freeman Dawson lived until she was 101

I have searched and searched for a marriage certificate but have been unsuccessful. If anyone is able to help it would be very much appreciated.

there is a James Fraser Mar 1849 Westminster St Margarets 1 452 cannot find a William James in Westminster

Comment

there is a William James Fraser in Kensington 1847

Comment

have you noticed in that Newspaper report he is named as W G Fraser and not W J Fraser or is that a mistake

Comment

Hi,

I have looked and I can't spot it either.. this is a bit of a puzzle isn't it

Have you tracked William James' at all? it may be that he was already married and therefore couldn't marry Elizabeth, [or maybe his first wife refused a divorce]

I did spot one marriage though but this was in 1935 in lancashire... though not much good if WJ died in 1932!!

if she was born in 1853 then say 21 to be married takes us to 1874.. first child b. 1877.. so time span 1874-1877 for marriage.. maybe they married in Scotland? or the names were spelled wrong??

not sure what else to suggest really.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

on the 1911 census William says born Hammermsith ? and married 35 years
            Last edited by Guest; 23-02-14, 11:46.

Comment

in 1881 he says born Kensington ,cannot find a marriage at all

Comment

Have just found a William J Fraser's marriage in Belfast. Among the list of potential spouses is an Elizabeth Dawson. Ref. the Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index 1845 - 1958 on Ancestry. Date; 1876. Vol 11, page 373, FHL film Number: 101252.

Hope this helps.

Angela

Comment

william james fraser.jpgdont know if you have this William James Fraser Probate

Comment

great Angela clever girl

Comment

Originally posted by Anglebar15 View Post
                      Have just found a William J Fraser's marriage in Belfast. Among the list of potential spouses is an Elizabeth Dawson. Ref. the Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index 1845 - 1958 on Ancestry. Date; 1876. Vol 11, page 373, FHL film Number: 101252.

Hope this helps.

Angela
                      brilliant Angela!..

this is the link to the ref

Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

That's brilliant, thanks all. Just ordered the certificate from Ireland

Comment

The certificate has now arrived (thanks again Angela).

I am 99% sure that this is the correct marriage. My only little doubt is William Dawson's profession. It says he is a Postmaster however, the 1871 census says Cab Proprietor and the 1881 census says Cab Driver.

I am finding the handwriting a little difficult to read in places, can anyone work out what William James Frasers profession is (Station .....) and the residence of Elizabeth Dawson? I can't find Budgedale Villa however it was at least in London!

Can anyone also help in finding William James Fraser's birth (and ref). This is what I have;

Unable to find the 1851 census record
                          1861. Living at 10 Great Peter Street, Westminster. age 14, woodcutter. Born St John the Evangelist, Westminster (1847).
                          1871 Lodging at 7 William Cottages, Kender Street, Deptford. Railway porter working at Queens Road, Peckham for the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway. Born Hammersmith, Middlesex (1847).
                          1881 Living at Ridsdale Road, Penge. Railway Inspector. Born Kensington, Middlesex (1847).
                          1891 Living at 81 Ridsdale Road, Penge, Railway Inspector. Born Hammersmith (1848).
                          1901 Living at Thicket Grove, Penge, Railway Inspector. Born Hammersmith (1849).
                          1911 Living at Gatwick, Surrey, retired. Born Hammersmith (1849).
                          Died 6th January 1932 aged 84 (b 1848).

So he could have been born in Westminster, Kensington or Hammersmith between 1847 and 1849. When I've been searching, I've also come across another William Fraser born about the same time (from memory, I think he was a solicitor).

Any help anyone can provide would be very much appreciated.

Comment

Station hall porter?

Bridgedale Villa.

OC

Comment

Many thanks OC.
                              Any ideas on Elizabeth Dawson's residence? It looks like Elbina Street but I can't work out the rest and I can't find an Elbina street anywhere on Google maps.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianJackson View Post
                                Many thanks OC.
                                Any ideas on Elizabeth Dawson's residence? It looks like Elbina Street but I can't work out the rest and I can't find an Elbina street anywhere on Google maps.
                                My first impression was Fitzrovia which would be a London district but it is in two parts so that wouldn't make sense unless the writer did not know the area and how to spell it correctly and they didn't bother putting him right.

Margaret

Comment

Does the signature on the 1911 census look anything like the one on the marriage record?

Margaret

Comment

There is an Eblana St in Belfast ?
                                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                                    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                      Does the signature on the 1911 census look anything like the one on the marriage record?

Margaret
                                      They are quite similar

Comment

I keep reading "Albion St" although if it is, the clerk has written Ablion St, lol - something Lisburn maybe.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X