Trying to find the birthplace of an ancient grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find the birthplace of an ancient grandfather

My, so many grts, grandfather, George Lane b.c.1748 married Sarah Harvey in 1771 Winterborne Whitechurch in Dorset. I have been trying to find for a few years where he actually was born, the only clue I have is from his marriage. I just can't make out which parish he was from, it's Winterborne something with land at the end. The only Winterborne in Dorset with land at the end is Stickland, but below his marriage entry is an entry for Stickland easily legible. Can any of you "super sleuths" find out where it is?
    This is the entry in Ancestry: http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/22...l=ReturnRecord
    Vonny

I see Stickland with the dot of the "i" a bit hidden by the downward loop from the second g in George from the line above.

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

When I first looked at it the first letter I thought was an A but I couldn't make out the other letters except for the end of the word with is land. I have looked for a birth for him but so far not found anything.
      Vonny

Comment

The S is less curvy than the Rector's other Ss. I cant' find a baptism for a George in WS either. The only Lane baptisms I could find there between 1730-1771 are:

Christian (female), baptised 3 May 1743
        Anne, baptised 26 Oct 1747, d/o George and Ann
        and
        Susannah, baptised 12 Apr 1741

STG
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

It's interesting that there's a marriage on facing page for a David Lane, George's brother maybe?

This could be David's baptism, but if so it would be a late baptism as only 12yrs before his marriage. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...1813&gst=&so=3

Comment

Vonny, do remember that although the marriage cert says 'of the parish of Winterbourne' it is no indication to where he was born. He could have been born anywhere and moved to Winterbourne, a person only had to have residence in a parish for three weeks prior to marriage to be classed as of the parish. However, I'd say it very likely he was either born there or somewhere not too far away, but by no means is it a given.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
              It's interesting that there's a marriage on facing page for a David Lane, George's brother maybe?

This could be David's baptism, but if so it would be a late baptism as only 12yrs before his marriage. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...1813&gst=&so=3
              Although the index says 1759 for the baptism, I wonder if it's a mistake and should say 1749, family search has it as 1749 and looking at the Ancestry image it is the first in the batch and the following ones are for years 1750 onwards.

Comment

George and Sarah's record of banns, does look like Stickland. http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/22...l=ReturnRecord

Comment

I've had a look at David Lane, his marriage and have found and his wife's deaths in Winterborne Stickland. It is a possibility that he was a brother of George Lane. George lived all his married life in Winterborne Houghton and died 1800. I found the parish record on Ancestry but the page was not filled in properly at the time so no age at death was recorded. Very sloppy book keeping! I thought if I could find his age at death I might be able to pin down his birth year properly, no such luck. I think this is one that is a dead end basically as I haven't found anything other than he was of the parish of Stickland.
                  Must thank everyone for having a look.
                  Vonny

Comment

Working...
                  X