Workhouse suggestions..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workhouse suggestions..?

The majority of my direct antecedents were East Anglian agricultural labourers. My great-great-grandfather, John Holden (1829-1874) was no exception. The families were large and plotting their progress through the various 19th century censuses has been something of a slog but certainly in the case of the males eventually successful. With John I hit a problem. Taking into account that 'Holden' appears in all sorts of spelling variations I could locate him in 1841 (as a 12-yr old with his parents in Bressingham, Norfolk), then again in 1861 (same village but now with wife Frances - married in 1857 - and two young daughters) but for 1851 there was a complete blank despite using the most open searches. Then I came across an entry for an inmate of the Depwade Union Workhouse at Pulham St Mary; right name, right age, wrong birthplace - but the birthplace given, Burston, is within a couple of miles of his actual one and both are within five or six miles of the workhouse. I conclude that this is him, but it leaves me puzzled. Maybe I have the wrong idea about workhouses and it's not unusual for a member of a very large extended family, none of whom are similarly listed, to find himself in such a place at the age of 21. Yet I find it odd. I wonder if anyone out there has come across similar instances in their own families, or if anyone with experience of studying workhouses could comment? Is there any online index/register of such places listing their occupancy?

Thanks anyhow!
    X IannF his mark

dont know if you have seen this site but its very informative

Comment

meant to say I have people in the workhouse who have family outside , some are in and out for years.

Comment

Illness, even something like a broken leg, could often put someone in the workhouse even if they had family outside. Remember that the workhouse was the only source of medical help for the poor.

OC

Comment

i have a few relatives who died in the workhouse infirmaries throughtout the 19th century and early 20th. but i so far havn't been able to find out if they were just there for medical treatment or if they were admitted for poverty.

Comment

Working...
          X