Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading names

Good Morning.

Please could you help with reading these names. The top on will be male as cited as brother and the second female, sister in law. Could you also confirm that this would likely be his wife's sister, as I think the surname differs from the writer.

Probably of no help but handwriting c.1830

Thank you

this one has the addition 'of Egerton Kent

I will be away from the computer for a while , but will check out later (I spent most of last evening trying to work them out, with no success .... many thanks
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

The female name looks like SARAH to me Mandy... i'll have a closer look at the male name
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

all I am seeing for the male name is STEVEN... as the first letter is an 'S' not much help that's all I am seeing :S
      Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie

Steven is a new one to search and I agree re Sarah, it is more the second name I am having problems with.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

hmm, well, if the males surname is PYE then the last letter of the females name is a 'Y' the middle letter looks like the 'A' in SARAH, if you can compare the first letter of her surname with other letters on that document then you might have a starting point, though at a guess I would say it says JAY/LAY/TAY. [but think that Jay is morelike]

sorry I am not more helpful
          Julie

Comment

If the dot over the males Christian name belongs then the name could not be Steven, but I have nothing to offer on his name other than the surname appears to be PYE. Females name appears to be Sarah GAY.
            Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

We really need to see the whole document to be able to build up letter comparisons.
              Last edited by AntonyM; 19-02-14, 10:37.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

i would think steven pye and sarah jay. but antony is right, we need a bit more of the document. assuming it's the canterbury wills on ancestry and the national archives?

Comment

Thank you all. I though Sarah may have been Jay, but wanted to see what others thought.... Jay became an associated name to my family about 100 years later, so wanted to check the co incidence.

This is the Ancestry copy. TNA copy was unreadable.

I have uploaded some more text but it is hard to judge how much would be readable.

Once again thank you
                  Bubblebelle x

Comment

Without transcribing the whole document it is difficult , but I would say the Executors are John Wilson (friend) and Steven Pye (brother), and executrix Sarah Jay (sister in law)
                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks Anthony. I have got to the second page in transcription, but have not really got to grips with the writing, I think this is my own cognitive problems as much as the writing.... off to seek out any Stevens.... I was way off I was thinking it might be Jeffrey!!
                      Bubblebelle x

Comment

I also thought Steven Pye and Sarah Jay before I read other people's thoughts.
                        Anne

Comment

Thanks Ann.... not getting very far yet with these names
                          Bubblebelle x

Comment

Not convinced that Steven is the first name. It looks to me as if the final letter has a descender and it looks very similar to the y in Pye (and also the final letter in the woman's name, probably also a y). I wonder if the first letter is a very florid H and we have a Henry? Having seen the larger page with Thomas Pye quite clear at the beginning I think it is probably safe to assume that the brother's surname is Pye

Comment

Thank you David, I must say I have not been able to find anything related to Steven, yes it is Pye, I thought it most likely that Thomas was the son of Thomas Pye of Bredgar Kent, as suggested by frazzled (Caroline) in the past. If correct one of his siblings would be Henry, so it would be most helpful, if it is Henry, as previously stated I thought it might be Jeffrey, so I thought the last letter might be a 'y' too. Many thanks David.
                              Bubblebelle x

Comment

Having found a document related to tythes in Charing in 1839, it states that land is owned by Henry Pye, executor of Thomas Pye, so many thanks everyone and particularly David, who suggested the name.
                                Looking at the tythe document, I also believe the friend to be John Vinson. This also helps in comparing the 'n's in the name.
                                Just Sarah to sort out now.

once again many thanks
                                Bubblebelle x

Comment

that's a good call by David too

glad you have found something productive Mandy....
                                  Julie

Comment

Having identified his parish as Charing there are a couple of interesting monumental inscriptions on the Kent OPC site at

Numbers 237 & 238, which judging by the dates are Thomas Pye and his wife. It would also explain why he felt it necessary in his will to appoint a guardian for his children.

Comment

Yes thank you David, it was indeed these gravestones that proved the link to my ancestors as it named the son dying in S.America, mentioned on Thomas' stone. George was my 2xGGrandfather... and what a journey it was to get this far. It looks as if it could all get a lot easier here on in. but a few verifications need to be made.

ps thanks Julie, and if ancestry trees are to be believed the whole naval link comes in Thomas' grandfathers generation. Chinese whispers but those family stories ay hold credence eventually
                                      Last edited by bubblebelle; 20-02-14, 18:52.
                                      Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                                      X