Royal Irish Constabulary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Irish Constabulary

are there any detailed records anywhere for these? have found somebody on the Ancestry records but it does not give much info, they do have film and page numbers but where would you view them thanks

hyer Jackie I'm watching one born every minute glad I'm not pregnant:(thanks will have a look at those links I'm hoping I have cracked something

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
      hyer Jackie I'm watching one born every minute glad I'm not pregnant:(
      Jackie

Comment

phew that hurt ;), that second link is pretty good its for auntie so she will be paying not me , only thing is I was hoping it would give parents names ? doesn't seem to ?

Comment

That's a shame. Still there might be other clues in there. There are also some transcriptions here. Put constabulary in the search box. If you know what county you can then look from the search results. Or you can just search for the name

Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives Free Irish Genealogy [IGP] Irish Genealogy, Cemeteries, Irish Genealogy, Antrim, Armagh, Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Derry, Belfast, Londonderry, Donegal, Down, Dublin, Fermanagh, Galway, Kerry, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Leitrim, Limerick, Longford, Louth, Mayo, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo, Tipperary, Tyrone, Waterford, Westmeath, Wexford, Wicklow, Cashel, Fethard, Midleton, Land, Census, Newspapers, Church, Constabulary,
          Jackie

Comment

Val, there is a forum for the Royal Irish Constabulary.
            I've used it in the past and received some useful help.

Research, Genealogy and History of the old Irish Police Forces
            Elaine

Comment

The records for IC and RIC are at Kew. They are reasonably informative giving birth place of County, no parents names but places of service and whether married and wife's name and county of birth. A lot of the records are written in numbers and unless you have the code is meaningless. Date of death or if have pensions then may get more information. Pensions after 1872/4 do have a little more information.

Jim Herlihy is the expert on this and has written several books, one of which gives names of all IC and RIC members. I wrote to him and received a lot of help as well as finding one of mine at Kew.

Janet

Comment

thanks very much Elaine and Janet and of course Jackie shall have a look at those suggestions.

Comment

I am not sure if you have this link to the RIC at TNA but it will tell you all about the RIC records and how to find them. The book they talk about behind the desk at Kew is Jim Herlihys book.

Amazon has all his books and you may be able to borrow the copy you want from a local big library near you? This particular book is the one behind te desk at Kew which is the one where I found my man! The book is called

The Royal Irish Constabulary
                  A complete alphabetical list of officers and men, 1816-1922 by Jim Herlihy

Good hunting

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 19-02-14, 16:50.

Comment

thanks Janet am definitely going to look for that

Comment

Working...
                    X