Birth certificate query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth certificate query

I have found a living relative who has two births registered. One with the mother's surname ( she was not married at the time of birth) and a second with the father's surname. The parent's never married. Both births registered in the same quarter. Is this legal?
    Last edited by Terrianne; 18-02-14, 22:55.

The Original Birth Cert would have been made without the father being present and as the couple were not married the Mothers Maiden name would have been the Legal way of doing things, as a birth has to be registered within six weeks of birth the Father may have been away doing Military service or at sea or some other distant place so unable to give his consent to his name being used at the time.

Amendments can be made within a year to the Original Cert and if the Father went along with the Mother to make a declaration the name can be amended and a copy of the cert given with the new details, but the original still stands, I have a copy of two certificates for a family member with two different names, the father a Royal Navy Sailor.

Edna
    Last edited by clematised; 18-02-14, 23:22.

Comment

Another explanation is that if parents are unmarried but both register the birth, the birth is only registered once but indexed twice. Are the volume and page numbers the same?

I've just looked at a couple of certs. The old style (landscape version) only asked for 'name' of the child but asked for names and surnames of parents. It wouldn't be clear to the person compiling the index what surname the child is to be known by if the parents have different surnames.

I don't know when it changed but on a 1993 cert I've got (portrait version) it asks for name and surname of the child.
      Jackie

Comment

since the child's surname was not asked for, it was inferred from the father's surname. or if there was no father, the mother's surname. i would say the birth was registered by both parents together, as that is the only was a father's name appears on an illegitimate birth. so the index will show both registrations, the original by the mother, and the amended one with both parents.

Comment

The words to look for on the second certificate will be "Under section 10A of the Births and Deaths Registration Act 1953" - that is the process used when a birth is re-registered to add the name of the father, who is not married to the mother, where the father is now present to agree. Re-registrations after a couple marry will quote sec14 of the same act.
          Last edited by AntonyM; 19-02-14, 08:27.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Two of my granddaughters (born in the late 1990s) have two birth registration listings in the index, one in the mother's surname and the other in the father's surname, although both reference numbers are the same. The elder's birth surname was the same as the mother's on her certificate, but the younger's was listed with her mother's surname in the index even though on her actual certificate it shows her surname as that of her father and she has never used her mother's surname. Both sets of parents were unmarried at the time of the births although the respective fathers were present at the registrations.

The elder has another registration in the index in her father's name 5 years after her birth and a year after her parents marriage. Different reference and re-named registration district, although both in the same County. That will confuse future family historians!
            Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 19-02-14, 09:28.
            My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Two listings in the INDEX does not mean two registrations. If the index numbers are the same then it's only one certificate. If the index numbers are different, then the second entry is an amendment to the first in some way.

OC

Comment

Thank you all for your replies and explaining what has happened.
                Yes, Night Owl they both have the same page and volume numbers

Comment

If you sent for it then you'd probably receive the latest version.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee

there won't be a "latest version" in this case because there is only one certificate, one registration. It has been indexed twice, in both surnames. Both surnames lead to the same certificate.

OC
                    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 19-02-14, 11:50. Reason: sp

Comment

Sorry OC - thought she'd originally registered birth with just mother's name and then when father went in too to add his name it was added - so anyone sending for the certificate wouldn't get the lst version only the 2nd with the father's name on it. You have 12 months I believe to change child's name and details. It would still have the same reference number.
                      Last edited by JBee; 19-02-14, 16:30.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                      X