Electoral register help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electoral register help

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me find an ER from the early 1920's.

The family I am looking for are Clara Driscoll also known as Ward, her husband James Driscoll and her son Charles Ward. I know in 1921 when Charles died they were living at 201 Vicarage Lane or Vicorage Lane West Ham but I just can't find them.

I was hoping I could refine the search to the actual address but have had to search borough's but with no luck.

Can anyone try and help me?

Much appreciated

Steven

isn't west ham essex? not london? would west ham appear in the ancestry indexes?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
      isn't west ham essex? not london? would west ham appear in the ancestry indexes?
      It is part of Greater London and is a borough so whilst geographically in Essex it does not come under that county for administrative purposes.

Margaret

Comment

Coverage is very patchy for a lot of the boroughs in the ancestry index.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
          Hi I wonder if anyone can help me find an ER from the early 1920's.

The family I am looking for are Clara Driscoll also known as Ward, her husband James Driscoll and her son Charles Ward. I know in 1921 when Charles died they were living at 201 Vicarage Lane or Vicorage Lane West Ham but I just can't find them.

I was hoping I could refine the search to the actual address but have had to search borough's but with no luck.

Can anyone try and help me?

Much appreciated

Steven
          I have had a quick look and can only see 1964 and 1965 for West Ham in the London Electoral registers - the index is by no means complete for the years the title suggests.

Your best bet is to write to the West Ham library and ask where the registers are held and if it's possible for someone to have look for you.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks Kyle and thanks Margaret I will certainly take your advice and email West Ham library for some help. As I know the address hopefully they can help

Steven

Comment

Margaret is there anywhere I could find if there was an obituary for the son Charles Ward as I am still trying to get him listed as a casualty of WW1 as he died of TB and Malaria that he suffered when serving in Salonika in WW1 but he didn't die until 16th April 1921. I haven't a clue where to start with newspapers etc. Anymore evidence I could get could be very helpful

Steven

Comment

This from the Essex Record Office website:

"Detailed electoral registers for the West Ham area after 1888 and the East Ham area after 1918 can be seen at Newham Local Studies Library, Stratford Library, 3 The Grove, London E15 1EL. Some electors continue to appear in Essex registers for parts of the West Ham area up to 1915. Microfilm copies of these can also be seen at Newham."
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks Phil might have to see if I can get someone at Newham library to help as I live up in Scotland fingers crossed I get someone helpful!!!

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                    Margaret is there anywhere I could find if there was an obituary for the son Charles Ward as I am still trying to get him listed as a casualty of WW1 as he died of TB and Malaria that he suffered when serving in Salonika in WW1 but he didn't die until 16th April 1921. I haven't a clue where to start with newspapers etc. Anymore evidence I could get could be very helpful

Steven
                    Again the library is your best friend in this regard or maybe the Records Office having seen keldon's post about the electoral rolls.

I think an obituary is unlikely unless the family put one in the paper. I can't recall now if he died in a hospital for wounded soldiers or at home. If it was hospital they may be able to help with you with your petition to get him listed on the Roll of Honour.
                    Surely the death cert is enough evidence of War inflicted injuries?

Maybe put a request for help on the Research Requests Board - someone from FTF might be able to go for you.

Margaret
                    Last edited by margaretmarch; 18-02-14, 20:37.

Comment

Thanks Margaret I have raised the case through the In from the cold project but it can take years. Just wanted to get and get as much information behind the scenes as I can. Library emails it is and will get those done

Regards

Steven

Comment

Would she have had the vote then?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                        X