Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need ideas from members for a lady researching the building of a Cemetery in 1907

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need ideas from members for a lady researching the building of a Cemetery in 1907

I was chatting to a lady who is researching the history of her local Cemetery and has the records from pre 1900 when Lord Derby was the owner of a Farm and wanted to sell, the Local Council was in need of a new Cemetery so build the Cemetery in 1907.

She has gone as far as she can and need to research who built the wall surrounding the property, and who made the gates.
    I have told her to look for the Guild of Stonemasons, and to look at the Council Buildings that went up around the same time to see who built those.
    I suggested she walk the perimeter inside and out to look for stonemasonry markings

Gates were Grand at the time and possibly parks and gardens had the same maker.

Any ideas to offer her will be a great help.

I suggested Gale newspapers through the local archives but as it was after 1907 they would not be of use.
    I don't want to give the area as I think she wants it kept from search engines.

Edna

Has she tried a search of the online catalogue for the local record office? Sometimes they have bills submitted by contractors (or receipts of payments made) for public works.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 17-02-14, 00:11.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

That is her stumbling block where she became stuck as two record offices are blaming each other and saying the records are with the other, but thank you I will list this for her as an option Janet.
      Thank You

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
        I suggested Gale newspapers through the local archives but as it was after 1907 they would not be of use.

Edna
        Some of the papers currently digitised for the British Newspaper Archives go past the early 1900s.
        The following link is a pdf file for coverage on Findmypast.
        Elaine

Comment

Elaine the link just opens FMP for me and not a PDF doc.

I only have a few credits which will be used for my India look up which I have not yet done.

Edna

Comment

I don't know what happens with FMP links, that often happens. Try clicking on my link (let it open up FMP) then come back to the post and click it a secone time. Sometimes that works!

If not, right click on the link I have given in the post and "copy link address" - then go to browser and paste.

If neither of those work then let me know and I'll send the pdf file to you by email.
            Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine pressing the link a second time worked and now I know which paper to look for

Edna

Comment

You probably know Edna, but just in case you don't ... you can also do a search directly on the British Newspaper Archive website.
                Without a subscription you only see a "snippet view" but sometimes it is enough to decide whether it's worth following up or not.
                Whether you are a researcher, historian or you simply want to know more about Britain's history, take this fantastic opportunity to search The British Newspaper Archive - a vast treasure trove of historical newspapers from your own home.
                Elaine

Comment

I have the library card for Lancashire on line Elaine but had not known they did later than 1900 as I have not used it for a while but I will now look for the paper local to the area of the Cemetery.
                  Thanks

Edna

Comment

I'm not talking about the newspapers online via the Lancs library - the British Newspaper Archives is a totally different collection.
                    They have a dedicated site - which is the link I gave in post #8 and they are also available on FMP (although I am not sure if it is the whole collection or not).
                    Elaine

Comment

Working...
                    X