Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for captioning scanned photos ?

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask.

I have 'inherited' a small suitcase worth of old black and white photos. Luckily my mother and grandmother wrote all the info on the back of them.

Because I live here in BC, and the rest of my family still live in the UK, I have decided to scan the the front of the photos and add captions or comments. Then I will put them onto CDs and thumb drives, so everyone has copies.

Are there any programmes out there that will either scan and add captions, or help me to add captions to scanned photos ?

I have spent hours trying to find some information. I would like the captions to be below the photos.

bcbrit

Oh, and the easier the better !
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Other people will have their favourite program but I think most photo editing programs can be used to do this. Just a general point ..... it is very important (imho) to make the caption an integral part of the photo saved as a common photo file type such as .jpeg, which can be viewed by all photo handling programs. I first used a fancy little program which did a lovely job BUT the file type it used was not a common one. As time moved on and I changed my computer the program became redundant and the file type unviewable. I had to do them all again :(
    Anne

Comment

Hi Anne,

Off to google photo editing programmes. I didn't think to look there as I am only scanning the photo , and I wasn't going to bother with creases or marks on the photos.

It sounded so easy at the beginning ! Scan the photo, add the name/date/other information, save and put onto a CD , and pop into the posbox.

This is turning into a major project now.

bcbrit
      George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

I have not used this for a long time but it allows you to add captions and is free to download

Edna

Comment

If you have Publisher on your computer you can insert the scanned picture and add a text box at the bottom of the picture. There is also Paint which is usually on most systems, open with Paint, the picture will immediately be enlarged, so you just click onto the writing implement, click where you want to write, open a text box, choose the style of writing you want and off you go.! Just make sure you draw a big enough text box!
          Vonny

Comment

i usually number the scanned photos, and if i need the backs i label '12b'. '12a' would be the front of the picture. alternatively number all the photos, and in word make a list of them, with the captions.

Comment

Thanks everybody,

Am off to check out your ideas !

bcbrit

Comment

Working...
              X