Seaman's log books CCOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seaman's log books CCOD

I have a Continuous Certificate of Discharge No. 162967 that belonged to my great grandfather. Its for voyages from 1901 to 1905, he was a Boson/ Boson's Mate during this period. He had been to sea for years before this, is there anywhere I can find his previous log books?

Do you have a name, D.O.B. residence, next of kin name of vessel? More Information needed please.
    Vonny

Comment

Yes I have his name and details of the 3 ships he sailed on in the years 1901-1905. I'm trying to ascertain if it's possible to find his log books from before 1901. He must have had previous records, but where would I find them?

Comment

Bearger

I think Vonny is asking for you to give us details of his name, dob etc so that we can see what we can find

STG
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

I have asked before for help in researching this great grandfather, I'm now trying from a different angle. His name was Gustave (Agustus) Julien Birdwisa this will be a phonetic spelling of his name. According to the Scottish census he came from Normandy France, he was born about 1844-1850. He first appears in 1882 when he marries Annie McKinnon in Glasgow. Also on the census it states he is a British Subject, can find no evidence of this.
          His Continuous Certificate of Discharge is numbered 162967. The voyages covered are; (1) 29/06/1901, Ship Huronian No. 113960, to Montreal, discharged Glasgow 28/07/1901. (2) 08/08/1901, Huronian, to Canada, Africa & Americas, discharged Greenock 17/01/1902. (3) 19/04/1905, Ship Corean No. 84312, to Boston, discharged Glasgow 22/05/1905. (4) 26/05/1905, Corean, to Boston, discharged Glasgow 27/06/1905. (5). ??/07/1905, Ship Ionian No. 113989, to Montreal, discharged Glasgow 28/07/1905. He was a Boson or Boson's Mate on these voyages. His home address would be Old Govan Road or Blackburn Street Glasgow.
          To complicate matters his CCOD gives his place of birth as Toronto in 1850!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BEARGER View Post
            I have asked before for help in researching this great grandfather, I'm now trying from a different angle. His name was Gustave (Agustus) Julien Birdwisa this will be a phonetic spelling of his name. According to the Scottish census he came from Normandy France, he was born about 1844-1850. He first appears in 1882 when he marries Annie McKinnon in Glasgow. Also on the census it states he is a British Subject, can find no evidence of this.
            His Continuous Certificate of Discharge is numbered 162967. The voyages covered are; (1) 29/06/1901, Ship Huronian No. 113960, to Montreal, discharged Glasgow 28/07/1901. (2) 08/08/1901, Huronian, to Canada, Africa & Americas, discharged Greenock 17/01/1902. (3) 19/04/1905, Ship Corean No. 84312, to Boston, discharged Glasgow 22/05/1905. (4) 26/05/1905, Corean, to Boston, discharged Glasgow 27/06/1905. (5). ??/07/1905, Ship Ionian No. 113989, to Montreal, discharged Glasgow 28/07/1905. He was a Boson or Boson's Mate on these voyages. His home address would be Old Govan Road or Blackburn Street Glasgow.
            To complicate matters his CCOD gives his place of birth as Toronto in 1850!!!
            Have you tried contacting the FHC in Toronto? There's a regular newsletter issued from there that covers all sorts of useful info - and includes opportunities to air problems like this. Try this link: http://torontofhc.blogspot.co.uk/p/resources.html

Or the Ask a Librarian service - though "1850" is probably too vague for them to be able to help you.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/ have you tried Mariners Website it has lots of information and also you can join the mailing list and then ask a question from a very helpful set of knowledgeable members via daily e mail messages.

Edna

Comment

Have you had a look at Scotlands People http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/?gclid={SI:gclid}&gclid=CIywsoeN0LwCFZHJtAodaTMA_g there might be something on the records there.
                Vonny

Comment

Thanks very much for the help, will certainly have a look at Toronto blog & Mariners website. I have used ScotlandsPeople a lot during my research but can only find details of Gustave starting with his marriage in 1882. Cannot find him on the 1881 census for example.

Comment

Just copied this from Scotlands people re 1881 census:
                    1881 Census comprises the census index undertaken by GROS and is structured in the same manner as other censuses on this site. This version links to images.

1881 (LDS) comprises the census index undertaken by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS) and is structured differently from the other censuses. Note: This version links to a transcription of the source document only and not an actual image. Viewing a transcript of the 1881 (LDS) census will cost 1 credit unless it has been previously viewed.
                    Vonny

Comment

Originally posted by Vonny North West View Post
                      Just copied this from Scotlands people re 1881 census:
                      1881 Census comprises the census index undertaken by GROS and is structured in the same manner as other censuses on this site. This version links to images.

1881 (LDS) comprises the census index undertaken by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS) and is structured differently from the other censuses. Note: This version links to a transcription of the source document only and not an actual image. Viewing a transcript of the 1881 (LDS) census will cost 1 credit unless it has been previously viewed.
                      Vonny
                      Not sure what your telling me here? I (and others) have used SP & LDS in looking for Gustave but to no avail up to 5 minutes ago. There was a birth record stating born 12/11/1850 in France on Family Research, none of the family know where this came from and when I contacted the LDS they said they had no record of who or when the info was submitted. Was looking through the LDS site 5 mins ago and discovered they have now named the submitter as akjackson5007. So will now try and trace this person, does anyone know how to do this on FS? Will start another post with this enquiry.

Comment

Just a thought. This might be of help in your quest or not? but thought it worth a look at:
                        National Archives of Scotland: Agreements and Crew Lists are held under the reference BT3, and cover the dates 1867-1913, for Scottish ships only. The ships are listed alphabetically by name in the paper catalogue. Official logs are found with the Agreements and Crew Lists, where they survive.
                        Found on this website http://www.poheritage.com/our-archiv...ge?pageIndex=1
                        Vonny

Comment

Also this might be worth having a look at http://www.rmg.co.uk/researchers/lib...aritime-museum
                          Copy of the content as follows: However the National Maritime Museum has records that will be of use to the family historian, although it is worth bearing in mind that, apart from the Marine Society archive (see below), the Museum has no records relating to merchant seamen before 1860. We hold crew lists for the following years only: 1861, 1862, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935, 1955, 1965, 1975, 1985, and 1995.
                          Vonny

Comment

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                            X