Ww1 - sorrell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ww1 - sorrell

Reading through my 2nd cousin WW1 record (was killed ) there is one page for returning personal effects which was signed by his widow on receipt. She received a Sorrell. What is a sorrel? Is it something to do with the regiment, a cap badge or something?
    Vonny

is this the canadian Army ? wasn't there a Sorrell Battle ? it rings a bell could be completely off track.

Comment

No Val, he was with the Dorset Regiment, killed in action on the Somme 1916.
      Vonny

Comment

Vonny,

There was a Battle of Mount Sorrel, near Ypres, which took place between 2nd and 13th June 1916.

Could this be the connection you are looking for?

Angela

Comment

I don't know. He was killed in action on the 1st July 1916. I can't see anything in his service record to say that he had been at Ypres specifically. Whatever the Sorrell was his widow signed a receipt for it on the 21/02/1920.
          Vonny

Comment

I have just checked his brother's WW1 record - he was also killed in action, again, his next of kin, (was the only surviving brother out of 5 brothers who went to war) he also received a sorrel, the word after sorrel on this record is clearer to read, 1 Sorrell inscribed.
            Vonny

Comment

Can you post a link so we can see the entry - I wonder if it is related to the issue of the death plaque and scroll ?
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Sounds like Anthony has got it - a badly written "scroll" would look very much like "sorrell" - the outline is the same.

OC

Comment

don`t laugh - but isn`t a Sorrell a horse ?...WW1 had many horses used in battle - might they have given his family his horse ?
                  ADDED

HA HA - just laughing at myself the thought of a REAL horse being sent - BUT - re "an inscribed sorrell "...could it be a brass small statuette of a Sorrell Horse to denote he was a Horseman killed in battle with his name /Regiment and number inscribed on it ??...that would make more sense ??
                  Last edited by garstonite; 12-02-14, 09:47.
                  Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Anthony, I have the record on my memory stick which I downloaded from Ancestry. I have tried to copy and paste onto a reply but it just isn't happening. I will try again.
                    Vonny

Comment

I have been back onto Ancestry and this is the page the receipt is on.

Vonny

Comment

I think it's scroll - compare the lower case c's.

Well done, Antony - I'd never have thought of scroll, unless I'd seen the image.

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Anthony and Janet, it must be a gummed up c ! So now that problem is solved!
                          Vonny

Comment

reply too late
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-02-14, 12:50.

Comment

Working...
                            X