Charting software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charting software

Does anyone have any advice on creating attractive family tree charts.

The charts produced by genealogy software all seem pretty basic and I can't find any stand alone charting software programmes. I've found a couple of websites, but they seem to charge a furtune, whereas all I want is an A4 size tree nice enough to frame.

Thanks

I've used Charting Companion in the past which prints out fairly colourful trees! I tend to use my printouts as "working copies" that I can scrawl over, rather than framing them.
    There are a number of companies which produce professionally printed trees and the cost is probably not much more than purchasing software.

What program do you use at the moment for your tree - and how many people are in the tree?
    Elaine

Comment

MyHeritage Family Tree Builder is a free genealogy program with a decent selection of charts. They do try to get you to put your tree online but there is no problem if you don't want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwi View Post
        ... whereas all I want is an A4 size tree nice enough to frame.
        Just coming back to your comment of an A4 size chart. To get something onto A4 I presume you have a fairly small tree. Unless you are just putting names with a year date (to and from) then I don't see how you will get much more than a three or four generation simple pedigree chart. Is this what you are looking for.
        Even using the popular genealogy software programs, you can generally fancify the charts by adding photos, inserting images, inserting backgrounds etc., as well as print the text in differing colours. Printing on coloured paper or card can also give a more professional look.
        Elaine

Comment

I'm not trying to print my whole tree! It is just a 3-4 generation chart I want to produce. I appreciate you can 'fancify' standard charts (I use FTM), but that doesn't escape them being basic. I wanted to have something with a bit more design. I don't mind spending money, but the paid-for printed trees aren't cheap - printing more than three, for example, and you're starting to look at more than the cost of a separate software programme.

Comment

I've seen your same question on Facebook and appreciate that the FTM chart that someone displayed was not what you were looking for.

Just doing a google image search for "fancy family tree charts" brings up lots of examples -

Perhaps if you could give an example or two of the type of thing you are looking for, then someone might be able to suggest appropriate software.
            Elaine

Comment

Working...
            X