X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McEver in Toronto

Hi,
    Trying to help a cousin with a brickwall:

I am looking for Canadian records for Patrick McEVER (b. ~1819, Co Cavan, Ireland) and his wife, Martha (b. ~1822, Ireland) - especially 1851 and 1861 census records, but also their marriage record (not sure it was in Canada) and records for the births of their children: Sarah, b.1850, William, b.1854, and Martha, b.~1860 - all three in Toronto, Canada (per marriage or passport records)

Just to save a bit of time - I've already found Patrick, Martha & two kids in the 1870 & 1880 US Censuses, the marriage registers for the two daughters, and one daughter's DC. Some record indicated they immigrated to the US in 1865. There is a passport appl for William on Ancestry, and findagrave memorial pages for William & Martha (parents) and William (Son).

But I haven't found a record proving that Sarah born 1850 is the d/o Patrick & Martha.

Of course, if someone could find records of Patrick or Martha's births in Ireland, that would be great, too!

Thanks!
    Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Possibles:

1851 Census - York, York County, Canada West ( Ontario)

Patrick McKever , age 34 next birthday, gardener, b Ireland, RC
    Sarah, age 31 next birthday, b Ireland
    Robt , age 7
    Sarah age 5
    John age 3
    Mary age 1

All children born in Upper Canada

1861 Toronto, York County, Ontario

Patk McKeever, 43, gardener, b. Ireland
    Martha, 41, b Ireland
    ?, 64 ( a female) b Ireland
    Robt 13
    Sarah 12
    John 10
    William 7
    Martha 2

All children born Upper Canada

US and Canada Emigration Lists

Patrick McKeever
    b. 1822 Ireland
    Arr 1834, Quebec Canada

US and Canada Emigration Lists

Patrick McKeever
    b1824
    Arr 1871 in USA
    From Ontario, Canada

Really not sure about this one

Ontario Deaths

Patrick McKeever
    d 22 Dec 1877
    Stormont, Ontario
    wife Ellen

bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Hi, BC -
      I like the 1861, and the 1834 arrival. Nut sure about the 1871. Pretty sure the death is not his - he and Martha went to Detroit. I wonder if the 1851 is a first wife?

Why is Toronto so difficult to research?

Thanks!

Comment

No, not the 1851! There is a Patrick McKeever, Gardener in the 1851, too! With wife Martha, and expected children

With all children born "Up C", I expect that Patrick & Martha married in Canada. Any hope of finding a marriage record or announcement?

Comment

Hi Sarah,

With the 1851 census I meant to put down Martha. I guess I was busy thinking of Sarah McKeever, and then trying to remember to write you down as Sarah and not PF !

I have had a look to see if I can find Patrick and Martha's marriage, but no luck. Ontario registration of BMDS started 1 July 1869, but people were slow to comply, and the records are not complete until 1895 or so.

There are earlier marriage records , but you would have to know the district.

There was a 1842 Ontario census, but only named the head of the household, and not all returns have survived.

I have a copy of " In Search of Your Canadian Roots' by Angus Baxter. This is pre internet days, and shows what is available in the way of records.. I will go through it sometime this week and see if I can find that might be applicable.

Upper Canada is Ontario, Lower Canada is present day Quebec. Toronto , once upon a time, used to be called Bytown. I forget when the name changed.

bcbrit
          George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Martha Jane Munroe has mother as Martha Riley father Patrick Mcever on DC 1924

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898
            Name: Patrick Mcever
            Spouse's Name: Martha Riley
            Event Date: 29 Jan 1846
            Event Place: 0165,Carrigallen,Leitrim,Ireland
            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M70162-8
            System Origin: Ireland-ODM
            GS Film number: 101279

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
            Last edited by Elaine; 10-02-14, 22:52.
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I see there is this one too

Michigan, Death Certificates, 1921-1952
              Name: William Mcever
              Event Type: Death
              Event Date: 01 Jun 1932
              Event Place: Detroit, Wayne, Michigan, United States
              Marital Status: Single
              Birth Date: 12 Jun 1854
              Birthplace: Toronto, Ontario
              Birth Year (Estimated): 1855
              Father's Name: Patrick Mcever
              Mother's Name: Martha Hill
              GS Film number: 001973006
              Digital Folder Number: 005363507
              Image Number: 01009

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks, BC & Elaine -
                I'm convinced that Sarah is d/o Patrick & Martha. It would be nice to find a birth announcement or registration, but the census records provide sufficient proof to me.

sarah

Comment

Working...
                X