XP support ending. Advice please especially on Windows 7 or 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP support ending. Advice please especially on Windows 7 or 8

The date has been announced: Microsoft support for XP finishes on 8 April 2014, and the experts say it will be too risky for cyber attack to use the system to access the Internet after that date.

My desktop is a bit venerable to consider up-dating its OS system, and the programs I use on a daily basis mostly won’t transfer to Windows 7 or 8 anyway.

So, I’m thinking I’ll keep the old desktop for regular typing, scanning and printing, Family History, Photo editing and Church work, and invest in a laptop to connect to the web.

As I’m a touch typist, have not used smart phones or tablets, am getting rather slow at picking up anything new (!) having been retired almost ten years, I’d be glad to know please what others’ experience/opinions are on whether it’s better to go for Windows 7 rather than 8.

Bit out of my depth at the moment :( Any other advice/views gratefully received

Carol

Windows 8 has been a bit of a disaster, so much so that MS are bring the release date of Windows 9 forward to October.

Unless you have an overriding need for Windows 8 (such as a touch screen monitor) I would go for 7 every time. It isn't too much of a leap from XP, and with the latest service packs installed is reasonably stable system.

I too keep an XP machine, but it isn't connected to the internet or my home network. I have a perfectly good scanner (cost nearly £200 new) that won't work under Windows 7 so I use it for that, as well as a couple of old programs that I use, and just transfer files with a pen drive.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Pete,

Thank you for coming back so promptly. Didn’t know about Windows 8 problems generally – but thought I might be rather slow picking up such a different system.

Don’t have anyone computer savvy to talk to, so always very grateful for experience of FTF members.

My thanks again and regards,
      Carol

Comment

Carol, I think it would work well in your situation just to have a laptop or tablet to connect to the web. You could try an Apple iPad for example which is really easy to use. However a couple of points worth considering are that your software on XP is getting older all the time and one day may not be possible to use on [someone else's?] newer computer. It would be a shame if photos and Family History was difficult for one of your younger family to access.

Personally I went for Windows 8 with great trepidation but I have found it really easy to use. Don't know why I'm different to everyone else but I love it!! I have not gone for Windows 8.1 because I didn't find any need to do so. Mostly I work from the "desktop" in Windows 8 which is just like Windows 7 and not THAT much different to XP. The huge learning curve I dreaded did not come about .... I was amazed!!

Anne

Comment

Carol the simple answer is if you have a decent internet security program it will not make any difference to you.

The longer answer is every time a security fix is released the malware programmers try to reverse engineer the fix to see if they can develop a way round it.
          Some also look at security fixes in the current operating systems (OS) and see if the vulnerability the fix blocks is open in old OS.

As long as your computer(s) are behind a decent firewall and you use a good internet security program you should be safe.
          The is probably more chance of you yourself infecting your computer by visiting an unsafe site or downloading malware though opening infected images or things like online cards than being subjected to a cyber attack.
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Hi Anne

Thank you for responding. Pleased to hear that you adapted easily, Windows 8 is working well for you and that you are happy with it.

However a couple of points worth considering are that your software on XP is getting older all the time and one day may not be possible to use on [someone else's?] newer computer.
            I do realise that I shall have to migrate at some point, but I’d like to take it in easy stages. In addition to my old (preferred) program, I do have FTM 2011 (bought only for the Ancestry sub) which mentions Windows 7 (don’t know about 8). I think (I hope) JPEG copies of photos are universally accessible, aren’t they?

Many points to consider, and very glad to have your input and experience.

Thank you again and regards,
            Carol

Comment

JPEG pictures are universal, as are most other graphic formats along with pdfs.

Generally speaking newer programs will open older document files (this is called 'backwards compatible'). However if you are running older software and someone sends a document produced with newer software you may not be able to open it.
              Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
              Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
              Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
              Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
              Devine in Ireland

Comment

Guy

Many thanks for taking the time to explain in more detail the implications.

It’s very reassuring that, if McAfee and I are careful, my PC would not be any more vulnerable on 9th April.

In view of the age of my desktop, I think it would be wise to press on with getting an alternative in place, but now I can feel less “bounced” about considering the options.

Your input much appreciated.
                Regards,
                Carol

Comment

Thanks for that, Pete.

I use Word 2003 at present. I do recall receiving a document typed in Word 2010 and having to go to the web to be able to open it.

Another point to add to my list to consider/remember.

All best
                  Carol

Comment

I moved from XP to Windows 7 when I bought a new desktop computer and just love it. Can't speak about Windows 8 because I've never used it. I use FTM 2011 and have no problems with Win7. I purchased a copy of Microsoft Office 2010 and all my documents transferred without a hitch. After downloading new drivers my old scanner (Canon) worked perfectly with Win 7.

I still have XP on my old 2006 laptop but think I shall be putting it out to grass shortly because its got so slow. Hardly ever use it - only when we are away with the caravan. I too am a touch typist and find a "proper" keyboard so much better.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
                    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

I have Windows 7 and find it very easy to use. OH got a new laptop which has Win 8 and he can often be heard moaning from the other side of the room about how he hates it. As I understand it Win 8 was developed because more and more people also have mobiles and tablets with touchscreen and its supposed to be very similar. All well and good if your laptop is also touchscreen but his isn't.

My theory is that because he also uses a laptop at work that has Win 7 its harder for him to keep changing the way he uses them. I suspect that if he just had to use Win 8 he would be fine
                      Jackie

Comment

But if he just goes straight to the desktop it looks the same as Windows 7 to me! I must be a simple soul! Seriously though, I am beginning to think that how you get on with Windows 8 depends on just how you use your computer. Accessing things can be done in so many different ways and if its radically different to what you're used to its a pain. Just by co-incidence the way I do things must work with Windows 8. Its a mystery! By the way I have a new but normal desktop computer, no touch screen.
                        Anne

Comment

Hi Linda,

Thank you for responding so positively and for your good wishes.

I find I’m getting slower and more dithery since retirement, and hearing other people’s experience of changing systems is very helpful. I shall feel more confident about making a decision and going forward.

Best regards,
                          Carol

Comment

Hi Jackie,

Thank you for telling me of the experience of you and your OH with Windows 7 and 8.

As I mean to keep using the old XP desktop for some time, apart from anything web-based, I think it would be more difficult to switch between that and Windows 8 rather than 7. With the help of kindly FTF folk, my mind is getting a bit clearer

Best regards,
                            Carol

Comment

I have Desktop XP and got windows 7 laptop and I found little difference adapting to it though I use the XP more for storage these days, I get the Norton antivirus for three computers and use it for both and put it on my sons so its not wasted, £24.99 on line.
                              I use the mouse pad but if you want to use a mouse then you can get a wireless one or one with a little plug in usb as my friend uses.

Edna

Comment

Hi Edna,

Glad to hear you found it easy to change over to Windows 7 on a laptop.

Couple of times I’ve tried friend’s laptop, didn’t get on with touch pad at all well – thought I’d probably stick with a mouse – but I guess everything is a matter of use. Shall have to grasp the nettle.

All the views kindly given here are of great help to me.

Best regards,
                                Carol

Comment

Surface Typing Covers have a two-button touchpad that supports gestures and works like a mouse. Explore its features, learn how to change touchpad settings

You may find this useful when you change over and want to try the touchpad first, as you can change speed settings and do more with it than at first sight

Edna

Comment

I have windows 8.1 and when I go back to my lappy with win7 feel it is liking going back to button up boots. No problems with the newer system at all.
                                    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thank you for that Edna. Looks as though it will be very useful in getting to grips. Have kept a note of the address in my folder with all the other help.

All best,
                                      Carol

Comment

Hi David,

I have great admiration for you and for Anne in Carlisle for being able to manage the change so well.

Alas, I doubt my own ability, especially remembering I found it difficult to switch from a DOS based system to Windows 95 – and I was a lot younger then! So, I’m thinking I should probably settle for the easier transition to Windows 7.

Thank you for joining in the thread.

Regards,
                                        Carol

Comment

Working...
                                        X