Worldwide Ancestry 2 lookups please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worldwide Ancestry 2 lookups please.

I am on a fishing trip to see if I can find what happened to my 2x GGrandfather. (I have these moments)
    Okay heart sink moment.

George Pye sometime Pije or Per, possibly from mistranscription (Jorge and Jose) appears to have been in Chile from approx 1848-1861, he may have been there longer but his wife and children return to the UK as a widow in time for the 1861 census.

I have searched familysearch for a death with no success, but I have come across some Ancestry worldwide hits but I do not have a worldwide subscription. Would someone kindly look these up please.
    I’m afraid all I have is this.

George Pije Immigration and travel New York Passenger list 1820-1957 arrival New York

And George Pije US city directories 1821-1989 residence Kansas.

I would like to be able to at least know if these can be discounted.

I can give no clues as to his birthdate, but a newspaper report and marriage certificate indicate he was practicing as a surgeon in 1843. I know that not all surgeons were actually trained, but many others in his tree were authenticated surgeons. Sadly for me he emigrated before the first medical record books and I have not been able to find him on the apothacaries and others lists.

Dogged determination and in the end luck eventually found the son, but I am still stuck with the father. If you have any ideas please let me know. .

Many thanks
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Neither of the records can be your chap, sorry. The city directory entry is for 1958, and the passenger list for someone born 1887, so both too late.

Comment

Thank you very much Susan, that at least discounts this avenue.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

what was his wifes name Bubble?

Comment

oh have found her dont worry

Comment

Thanks Val, she committed suicide in 1863... but until I ever get to the Metropolitan library (or whatever they are called), I have gone as far as I can with her. Many thanks though. x
            Bubblebelle x

Comment

how awful Bubble I have been having a look round there are quite a few trees with him in on Ancestry but nobody seems to know when he died ? maybe he didn't die when you think he may have?

Comment

That's why I was looking at other possibilities Val, tn thing surprises me now. Those trees probably belong to me and my cousins, we are all on the hunt. Again.. many thanks
                Bubblebelle x

Comment

were the children by any chance taken by Barnados ?? if so they may know what happened to their father?

Comment

I don't think so Val, the eldest girl got married at 16 (just) I believe the son went to boarding school and then went in the army. The youngest daughter is a bit of a mystery but turns up in 1871 as a milliner, living amongst numerous drapers assistants and milliners. I have no proof but l would hope that the mothers family would have been involved in their care, but now you have made me think.
                    However I will keep your suggestion in mind as a more recent generation did have children being placed in a childrens home, when their mother died of TB and their father couldn't cope. I will have to leave that conversation though as there as it is as I say more recent. But thank you again.
                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

I see when Rose got married in 1866 her father is not entered as deceased, but then maybe she didn't know whether he was dead or alive!

Comment

George's marriage certificate (1842) states he was of full age and his father was Thomas a farmer.

Could this be is baptism. 14th Feb 1819, Charing Kent, sone of Thomas and Maria, abode: Newland, father's occ: farmer.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-02-14, 01:42.

Comment

One of the witnesses to George and Margery's marriage was ?????? Pye, do you know what the first name is? It looks like it starts with J to me, and Thomas and Maria Pye had children named James and Jane,

Comment

Thanks Susan, yes I have all that information, but cannot be certain re the baptism. Yes I think the witness is a Jane. I found a possible Jane dying in Whitstable on a fairly accurate timeline but it is trying to piece all these bits together with some degree of probability. Through the generations I have discovered, they are a pretty complex family, who were known to change their names like their homes.

I am not sure how reliable the information re deceased father would be. The brother married at least 4 times and it is only on the 2nd that the father is deceased. However I wouldn't be at all surprised if George Pye was still alive in 1860's. Thank you very much Susan, being reminded of these things has reorganised my thoughts.
                            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Timed out on the edit. So I will précis it here.

Does anyone know at what age a 'surgeon' may have started to practice as I have indication that he had a business in 1843?
                              Bubblebelle x

Comment

You are not going to believe this but a cousin has just contacted me and has a picture and transcription for the Thomas Pye of Charing, which links him to George. Hurrah, and better still there is a death date for George, 1855!
                                So I tomorrow will be spent retrying to read the will I downloaded for Thomas Pye for clues.

Thank you once again everyone. x
                                Bubblebelle x

Comment

how exciting Bubble where did he die ?

Comment

The grave reads S America Buenos Aires, so I will be looking for that now, especially as I have a date. Many thanks
                                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

Great news, Bubble I'm so pleased for you. Good luck with the will!

Comment

Wonder if George's wife died of a broken heart, she must have been so sad after he died. What a tragedy - him so young.
                                        Last edited by Guest; 11-02-14, 03:05.

Comment

Working...
                                        X