Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciphering help needed.

Hi all,

I have a marriage bann that i need help with decifering some names from as i'm not sure what they say or who they are.

I have attached the part of the bann i need help with.

There are 4 names listed for witnesses. Herbert Charles Lawrence and J. W. Baglee i know who they are but it's the other 2 names that i have no clue with.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Craig

There R.Hywell -Rafter, the other Ada is the bride so her name should be written below the grooms name on the top two lines.
    Vonny

Comment

Thanks Vonny for the help.

The actual marriage is between Stephen Alger and Florence S Baglee in 1915. I've just done some digging and i now know who Ada is. Ada is Stephen's older sister with her married name as she married a year before her brother's marriage. The other name i can't pick up on the 1911.
      Craig

Comment

I think its Hevyll-Rafter. There is a Robert Hevyll-Rafter on the Irish 1911 census and also on the Islington Electoral Registers
        Jackie

Comment

Is it a third witness, or is it the name of the person officiating?

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Looks like Ada Oxborrow to me.
            Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

I think it is the person officiating at the marriage.
              It is shown on Ancestry and he officiates at other marriages on that page.

He may be the person in 1911 living with wife Fannie Maria in Fulham and shown as Robert Rafter, a clegyman born in Ireland.

Comment

Thanks for the info Jackie and David. Yes it is definately Ada Oxborrow. (Ada Alger married Arthur Oxborrow in 1915).

Janet, i have no idea, i thought usually there were only 2 witnesses? but they had 3 plus the Rafter chap .

Thanks Gwyn in Kent, from what you said, he probably was the the officiating person.

Craig

Comment

Rafter is definitely the officiating minister - he has signed in the space and on the line specifically for that purpose - under the phrase "after Banns by me".

2 Witnesses is the legal requirement, but only as a minimum number - it isn't unusual to see 3, or occasionally 4, but there are only 2 spaces for them to sign, so they tend to squeeze the extra signatures in the empty space below the vicar's line.
                  Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

i've had 6 wittnesses to one wedding! so it's just luck really. but definently the thrid signature is the minister.

Comment

Working...
                    X