Cousins marrying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cousins marrying

During a visit to my Uncle Roy (93), he explained he was puzzling about family members who were cousins and got married. I know it is crowned upon, but is there any law against it. Uncle Roy seems to think there couldn't have been a church wedding, though it was.. They married in the 1920's x x x stella x
    Stellanne x

Researching: Bennetts (Derbyshire), Parkinson (Durham, Yorkshire)

Yes they could marry in church my husband's grandparents were first cousins and they got married in a church in 1926 although her father wasn't happy about the marriage because of the close connection
    Last edited by insane40; 06-02-14, 20:11.

Comment

It has always been perfectly legal to marry your cousin and there is no reason why cousins shouldn't marry in church.

Historically, the Roman Catholic church required a dispensation from the Pope for first cousins to marry but this was really about revenue, not about disapproval.

Before the science of genetics was understood, many doctors said that cousins should not marry, or if they did, should not have children, but the fact is, if both are healthy there is no problem with children. The problems come if there is already an inherited disorder in the close family and inbreeding may make it more likely to occur.

OC

Comment

All legal and above board!! ;D I should know, I married my 1st cousin 32 years ago. My son is a fine healthy young man.
        Last edited by WendyPusey; 06-02-14, 20:14.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

perfectly legal. as was nieces/nephews marrying aunts/uncles at one stage. my great grandfather's sister married their first cousin (1936). her uncle married his first cousin (1868), so i wonder if that was precedent. i have third great grandparents who were first cousins once removed (m.1895).

i think it's more modern, since edwardian times, that ordinary people started to think cousins should not marry. royals and upper classes have never issues with it, unless they want out to marry someone else, ala henry VIII......

Comment

It is and was illegal in England and Wales to marry an Uncle or an Aunt but it definitely happened!

I think the urban myth about cousins not marrying is actually a very old one, going back to the 1500s and befor, where you had to pay a hefty dispensation to the Pope, putting marriage between cousins out of the reach of ordinary people. I think it then became "fact" and people said "You can't marry your cousin (because it's too expensive).

OC

Comment

I recommend "Marriage Law for Genealogists" by Rebecca Probert - a very good, readable, book on what has been legal/valid at different times over the centuries.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

It probably becomes more of an issue if children of cousin-parents marry children of other cousin-parents with ties to the same family.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

Yes, but only if there are medical problems to start with. My Cheshire ancestors intermarried so thoroughly that I have only about half the unique ancestors I ought to have. This went on for over 400 years and as far as I can see, caused no problems - huge families who lived to a ripe old age.

Animal breeders know that if you inbreed even the best pedigree, the line will eventually fail, not because of illness or disease, but because there is a critical point at which the gene pool becomes too small to survive.

OC

Comment

I made up a page about consanguinity and affinity a few years ago see-

It shows who could marry who since biblical times.
                    Cheers
                    Guy
                    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I am the product of first cousins and at 86+ have just become a great grandfather to Scarlett who was born Feb 1st.
                      Four generations now and hoping to get a photoshoot soon whilst they are all in OZ and before I cark.
                      First cousins? nothing wrong with me except;
                      My memory is not as good as it used to be.
                      Also;
                      Joe

Comment

Originally posted by joboy View Post
                        I am the product of first cousins and at 86+ have just become a great grandfather to Scarlett who was born Feb 1st.
                        Four generations now and hoping to get a photoshoot soon whilst they are all in OZ and before I cark.
                        First cousins? nothing wrong with me except;
                        Also;
                        Joe
                        Ha! ha! join the club and nothing to do with cousin intermarriage

Margaret

Comment

Yes it was legal - but the repercussions of a hereditary health issue can affect children and grandchildren. Unfortunately that was the case in my family though many are lucky enough not to have any problems. I would advise against cousins especially lst cousins marrying.
                          Last edited by JBee; 08-02-14, 17:49.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee

These days we are fortunate to have genetic testing which can be a very useful tool in determining whether both cousins carry the faulty gene.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              JBee

These days we are fortunate to have genetic testing which can be a very useful tool in determining whether both cousins carry the faulty gene.

OC
                              That's bound to make a difference. I believe that there are some health problems with strong links to particular racial groups for which genetic testing is treated (amongst themselves) as almost mandatory for practical reasons.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                              X