mother's name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mother's name?

can anyone help read the surname of the mother in this will please? 9th row from the top. will of thomas hunt of romford in the parish of hornchurch, essex in 1755.

Mary Meatham
    Last edited by PeteW1959; 06-02-14, 10:17.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

I read it as Mary Meacham - compare the c in decease two lines lower
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

i had thought that too. at first i thought 'measham' but the 's' in other words didn't match. i havn't heard of meatham as a name before.

Comment

i discounted 'meacham' because there is def a 'th' in the middle of the word.

Comment

Learn about the Meatham Family Crest, its Origin and History. Where did the Meatham surname come from? Where did the family branches go?

...and a search of the 1841 on Ancestry returns 581 Meathams
            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

I think it is Meacham - the C matches that in decease and in executrix and also in expences three lines from the bottom.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

i hate this writing. it's like this for most wills from the canterbury court up till the mid 19th century. never can read it easily!

i see what you mean with the 'c' resembling 't' in those words. ugh.

Comment

Mary Moorham

Vera

Comment

Mary Streatham. Look at the same name the line below "wife of John Streatham?" The e that looks like an o is the same as the e in five.

Janet

Comment

No I thought it was an S but compare all the Ms .... Mother, Mary, Meacham (or Meatham ... not sure)

Anne

Comment

Definitely Meacham.

Comment

haha this is so much fun.....not. well i have 2 parishes to look in, romford and hornchurch. but i suspect the hunt's were not from romford originally, so mother mary may have lived in whatever parish they originated from.

thank you all so much for the help. i guess 'meacham' is the answer.

Comment

Mary Streatham, by comparing the other letters, very hard to decipher but definitely Mary ------tham
                            robert

Comment

Working...
                            X