Finding a divorce record..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a divorce record..?

I'm struggling to find a record for a divorce having turned up nothing in either Ancestry of Find my Past. I see that there are other Family History websites which seem to offer better coverage of the topic but they require a subscription (although offering 7-day trial membership). If anyone has the necessary access and could take a look for me I'd be most grateful. The event will have been between 1940 (a guess, the marriage was in 1935) and 1951 when the wife remarried. Details: husband, Bernard Albert Holden (1913-1985); wife, Yvonne Holden (nee. Secker)(1913-1985). I believe they lived in the East Dereham district of Norfolk. [Apologies if this not the best forum to make the request.]
    X IannF his mark

IannF

Very few divorce records survive for the period you are talking about, I think it is only about 2%.

Do you have the remarriage certificate? Sometimes it will say something like "previously the wife of....divorce granted blah blah" but that's a long shot.

I believe you can also ask for a search by the Divorce Registry, but I think you need to know the date. Not sure though what dates they service, also you will only get confirmation of a divorce and the copy of the decree absolute, not the details of the divorce.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      IannF

Very few divorce records survive for the period you are talking about, I think it is only about 2%.

Do you have the remarriage certificate? Sometimes it will say something like "previously the wife of....divorce granted blah blah" but that's a long shot.

I believe you can also ask for a search by the Divorce Registry, but I think you need to know the date. Not sure though what dates they service, also you will only get confirmation of a divorce and the copy of the decree absolute, not the details of the divorce.

OC
      Thanks for this response OC. (Interesting name coincidence :o) I'm looking at a relationship I was aware of only distantly so have no hope of anything like a re-marriage certificate. In the scale of things getting the answer to this isn't urgent; it's more the realisation that I didn't know how to find what I was looking for so in that respect your reply was helpful. Thank you for taking the time.
      X IannF his mark

Comment

Working...
      X