BRIDGER family Bridgwater - help with 1901 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRIDGER family Bridgwater - help with 1901 census

Can anyone help explain why there should be 2 different entries in the 1901 census (1 taken from Ancestry, the other from Find My Past) for the BRIDGER family of Bridgwater. Entries as follows;

Piece: RG13/2284
    Folio: 17
    Page: 25

Shown living at 79 Union Street (Volunteer Arms), Bridgwater, Somerset.
    John Bridger Head Married 57 Inn Keeper & Labourer Bridgwater Somerset
    Margaret Bridger Wife Married 53 Mylor, Cornwall
    Ellen Bridger Dau Single 22 Mylor, Cornwall
    Annie Bridger Dau Single 19 Mylor, Cornwall
    Frank Bridger Son Single 17 Mylor, Cornwall
    Kate Bridger Dau Single 15 Mylor, Cornwall
    Mary A Bridger Dau Single 14 Mylor, Cornwall

Piece: RG13/2283
    Folio: 16
    Page 4

Shown living at 18 Bailey Street, Bridgwater, Somerset
    John Bridger Head Married 55 Brewery Labourer Bridgwater Somerset
    Margaret Bridger Wife Married 54 Mylor, Cornwall
    Nellie Bridger Dau Single 22 Mylor, Cornwall
    Annie Bridger Dau Single 19 Mylor, Cornwall
    Frank Bridger Son Single 18 Point, Cornwall
    Kate Bridger Dau Single 15 Point, Cornwall
    Mary A Bridger Dau Single 14 Point, Cornwall

I find this very confusing to say the least!

It's not a case of Ancestry having one and FMP the other, I can find both on Ancestry - although one has the surname transcribed as Bridges.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

If it's the same family it looks as if they moved house around the night of the census. Although the data was supposed to reflect residence on a particular date (31st March) it must have been impossible to get accurate information if a family moved house on that day, or around that date.
    Elaine

Comment

I've seen examples of something similar to this when a dwelling has mistakenly fallen into two enumeration districts. Maybe it was on a corner or somesuch? If it was a simple case of an enumerator entering them twice the details would be identical. The family have clearly had forms from two people and maybe the questions were answered by two different family members.
      Anne

Comment

That was what I was thinking. Surely, the answers to simple questions would be the same. How old are you? Where were you born? (both answers differ in the above). If you had already completed a census, why would you complete another? surely you would tell the enumerator that you had already completed a census. Would you be forced to complete one twice? Were you compelled to complete a census? Doesn't this then skew the results?
        Bailey Street and Union Street are within a couple of hundred metres of each other, adjacent and on opposite sides of Bath Road (A39) in Bridgwater. Interestingly, the Volunteer Arms is still there and still open as a pub!

Comment

Working...
        X