George m Robertson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George m Robertson

Hi I'm looking for a friend, George Mackenzie Robertson 1927-2010 born Tendring. His parents were Alexander s Robertson Born approx 1876 Scotland and Frances d Mackenzie born approx 1900 Scotland. It is Alexander's parents I'm looking for but I'm very stumped on this. Have found marriage for Alex and Frances but that's all. Any info would be appreciated

If they married in Scotland, then you've hit the jackpot! Download the cert from Scotland's People and that will tell you BOTH their parents' names and you can sail back through Scottish records - at a cost of course, but nothing like the cost of English/Welsh records.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by kartrix View Post
      Have found marriage for Alex and Frances but that's all.
      When and where did they marry?
      Do you have the marriage certificate?
      Elaine

Comment

Alexander and Frances married 1926 in essex sorry she does not have any Certs
        Last edited by kartrix; 04-02-14, 17:04.

Comment

To be honest, I don't think she can work back without any certainty without buying the marriage certificate.
          I know there are some parish records available on the SEAX website but it's not a site I have ever used so no idea of the coverage.
          Elaine

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

Can I ask please, if you don't have any certs how do you know that Alexander and Frances were born in Scotland? Also, how do you know WHEN they were born please? I can't see a likely death for Alexander S Robertson. Was he about 24 years older than Frances?
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 05-02-14, 11:21.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi sorry for the delay, my friends grandfather was George Mackenzie Robertson born 1927 Tendring, she knows his parents were Alexander and Frances. From what he told her when he was alive

Comment

encourage your friend to get her dad's birth cert. that way you can be sure of the parent's names.

Comment

You need to work backward with certs as Kyle says. In the meantime though, as the marriage looks very promising, I assume that you found the deaths of what appear to be the parents in Bury St Edmunds? I think that you meant Alexander was born 1896 not 1876 as on the likely death ref which states his birth as 27/7/1896? After I found the deaths of the likely parents I had a look and there is a tree on Ancestry that gives his birth and parents. They may not be right of course but I have looked on Scotlands People http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ which is where you need to go once you have established the marriage is the right one. If it all ties in there is a birth in Scotland (which the full cert is viewable for only 5 credits) in 1896 of Alexander Stewart Roberton in Bathgate West Lothian.

Comment

Just in case you hadn't found the deaths - are these the ones?

Alexander Stewart Robertson - Birth Date - 27 Jul 1896 - Died Mar 1973 - age 76 - Registration District - Bury St edmunds - Suffolk - Volume 4b Page 3515
                      and
                      Frances Davidson Robertson - Birth Date - 8 Nov 1900 - Died Mar 1973 - Age 72 - Registration District - Bury St edmunds - Suffolk
                      Volume 4b Page 3515

I've just realised that they appear to have died at the same time.
                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 07-02-14, 10:01.

Comment

I wouldn't take too much notice of the tree on Ancestry though. At least no further back than Alexander. The parents and sister of Alexander that they have listed appear to be way out as the marriage wasn't until 1905 in England and the sister born 1908.

Comment

Right - well I think I was right about the Ancestry tree having the wrong parents.

If the deaths that I quoted above #11 are the right parents of 'your' George Mackenzie Robertson, the only birth I can find that fits, either England or Scotland is one in Scotland. His date of birth is only 2 days different to the death. The death gives his date of birth as Alexander Stewart Robertson - Birth Date - 27 Jul 1896 and this birth in Scotland (Bathgate, Linlithgowshire) has 24th July 1986 - born at 37 Gideon St - Bathgate. It was registered at Bathgate on 10th August. His parents are Joseph Robertson, a Ploughman and Marion Robertson nee Stewart. Joseph's father is also Joseph, no parents listed for Marion. It states the parents as married on 28th Feb 1893 at Sorn Parish Ayreshire.

This looks like the family in 1901 - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...off=&ml_rpos=2
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 07-02-14, 14:44.

Comment

Doing a free search the marriage of Joseph and Marion comes up as 1894.

Comment

Thank you all very much for your help

Comment

I have sent you a PM (Private Message) Kartrix.

Comment

Thank you Chrissie for all your hard work

Comment

You're very welcome

Comment

Working...
                                    X