Trying to find John Henry Tomlinson's death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find John Henry Tomlinson's death

I am trying to find John Henry Tomlinson's death, I know he was born in 1876 in Underbarrow, Westmoreland he moved to Salford and married Lillian Clowes in 1900 at St Luke's Church, Weaste, Salford, but when did he die? I know that his wife and son are buried in Weaste cemetery, having visited the grave there is no stone so no help there. I have so far ordered two death certs and neither are him - ahhhh all that money wasted. I know he was alive in 1911 as he is on the census, I also think he had died before his daughter's marriage in 1934 because a family photo of the wedding shows everyone including his wife but no John, I have found another possible death in 1915, do I send for yet another death cert or should I ask the cemetery if he is buried in that grave with his wife and son? Any suggestions?

Can you tell us which two certificates you have already eliminated?
    Elaine

Comment

I would certainly contact the cemetery first to establish whether John Henry was buried there before his wife and son. There will be records held of those buried there.

Contact http://www.salford.gov.uk/gravesearch.htm
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 02-02-14, 14:35.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I have the one for 1929 Barton on Irwell Jan/Feb/Mar 8c 1173 and 1923 Chorlton Jul/Aug/Sep 8c 570. There is another one for a John Tomlinson for 1915 in Salford. I will email the cemetery and find out how much it will cost of see if he is in that grave - thanks

Comment

Originally posted by insane40 View Post
          I have the one for 1929 Barton on Irwell Jan/Feb/Mar 8c 1173 and 1923 Chorlton Jul/Aug/Sep 8c 570. There is another one for a John Tomlinson for 1915 in Salford. I will email the cemetery and find out how much it will cost of see if he is in that grave - thanks
          Would have thought it'd be free to find that out - it's certainly free to enquire of Manchester cemeteries and in fact they are on line.

Margaret

Comment

Yes the Manchester ones are free. I need a death date to find out if he is in that grave for free, but as I don't have that I will have to pay £16 to find out who is in the grave.

Comment

Do they not have an index of whom was buried at the cemetery and in what year? Surely you would be entitled to know that before inquiring about a specific grave? Not the same question, and all you need to know at present.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

They charge for a two year look up more than if I asked for a list of who is in the grave. I don't know whether to go for the next death cert or pay for a grave list but either way it might not help, he might not be in that grave and it may not be him on that death cert - ahhhhhh

Comment

Goodness, I'm really surprised that they are charging to tell you who is in a grave. I have e-mailed several cemeteries over the years and have had a full reply of the details they hold withing 48 hours each time. They also always add that if I would like to see the grave and let them know when I'm coming someone will be there to show me. I have contacted Nottingham and several in different parts of Yorkshire.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

For anyone trying to help, is this him in 1911? - If so, I noticed that he just lists himself as John - p.s. He is only listed as John on the marriage details (no Henry).

Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 03-02-14, 08:42.

Comment

Have you seen this site?

Seems like you can get a surname report, which will give details of everyone in the cemetery of that surname - £6.

(There are 18 Tomlinsons, interred in 4 graves.)

If it were me, I'd go for it - cheaper than buying a wrong cert.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Have emailed the cemetery and just have to await a reply. Yes that's him and he doesn't seem to use the Henry once he is in Salford, he always states on census records her was born Under Barrow, Westmoreland and if I have the right one his birth cert says John Henry Tomlinson and from his marriage cert he says his father was William Tomlinson. I did find a John Tomlinson with a death in 1915. The last time I asked for a list of who was in a grave it cost me £15 and that was a few years ago now. However they are very good a giving me grave details if I have a death date.

Comment

Jay that's a good idea but they get the info off gravestones and I visited a couple of weeks ago and no stone - typical!!

Comment

I did look at the Railway Employment records on Ancestry as he was a Railway Porter. There is a record for a Thos Hy and Thos Hy Muscott who is recorded as being dead by May 1922. Think this is the one who was born in and death registered Nantwich and commenced employment in 1889.

Lots of J Tomlinsons in records. Will take another look.

Vera

Comment

thanks Vera will have another look at those that would be a real help

Comment

I can't see a death of a John Tomlinson in 1915 of the right age and non at all in Salford? Could you give us the link please.
                                Also, what does he give as his fathers occupation on the marriage cert please?

Comment

Wonder if they would take a look for you

Can't see any records for LNWR or LMS

There is a death for 1922 Salford but dob 1970. Wonder if the informant was not sure of dob.

Vera

Comment

I see that William Tomlinson was a farm labourer on the birth cert and by 1881 and onwards was working on the railway.

Comment

Father's name on marriage cert is William Tomlinson a railwayman. Sorry the 1915 one is another Barton Upon Irwell one -ahhhh I have one from 1923 and 1929 - how many more are there, see why I don't know what to do - still waiting to hear from the cemetery. Yes father was a labourer and then started working on the railways
                                      Last edited by insane40; 03-02-14, 16:44.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                        X