G grandparents baby grave with no dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G grandparents baby grave with no dates

My mothers grandparents had a grave for five of the children that they lost (they married 1897). Unfortunately the grave only has the babies first names and no birth or death dates. I have a date for one because he was alive during 1901 census. I grew up knowing about the baby grave and visiting it with my mother and I'd like to know more about these little ones. I've found some b/d that could fit but it would be pure luck, I think, if they are the right ones. Is there a way of finding more out about the grave.
    Also, as I'm asking my g grandparents headstone has fallen a few years ago and is face down. Is it possible to have it put back or better to let it lay. I can remember it as a child and really wish I'd photographed it (although that would have been a really odd thing to do then).
    thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

You might have some luck by searching the parish records? Do you know the name of the church/cemetery?
    Elaine

Comment

A couple of years ago I was part of a group that researched a soldier from WW1 and when we found his grave it was face down and the church had said it had been like that for many years, he had no living relatives as we did the research, and the church would not allow it to be lifted as it was heavy and could injure someone and the church would be liable as it was in church grounds, we all contributed and paid £600 to have it cleaned and reset by a local stonemason.

If the gravestone is in a cemetery then there will be burial books as I found information myself from these about all the occupants of the grave and they named the person buried and who paid the bill and where they lived, the Cemetery should have burial numbers so you can look in the local record office at the correct burial books, Liverpool Anfield Cemetery were very helpful as were Liverpool Record Office so ask at the local to the area buried.

Edna

Comment

what country are you talking about? if this england, you can jump on freebmd and look for the children's birth and deaths. if australia, you can jump on ancestry, which should be available at the local library if you don't have it. search under the parents names in the birth indexes, and then find deaths.

Comment

Hi, thank you all for replying. Sorry I didn't mention where I live. I'm in South Wales and both graves are in a village cemetery called ynysybwl. I believe the area came under llanwonno but I have no idea where to look for records. I have searched on ancestry for possible births and deaths based on when the parents married and the first names on the grave. I'm still looking for spelling variation at the moment too. I will try and find out where the burial record might be held.

thank you again for the advise.

That was such a lovely thing your group did to reset the soldiers grave

Comment

Re: ynysybwl Cemetery

Taken from a page on Family Search ..
            • Abercynon Cemetery (1901)
            • Aberdare Cemetery (1860)
            • Hirwaun, Brynygaer Cemetery (1914)
            • Mountain Ash, Aberffrwd Cemetery (1866)
            • Mountain Ash, Maesyrarian Cemetery (1908)
            • Ynysybwl Cemetery

For information on these cemeteries and to request searches of the registers, contact:

Burial Clerk,
            Cemeteries Section
            Rock Grounds
            Green Street
            ABERDARE
            CF44 7AE
            Wales
            Telephone: +44 (0)1685 885345

Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Re: ynysybwl Cemetery

Taken from a page on Family Search ..

http://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/e...s_in_Glamorgan
              Thank you, I know where that is, I live in Aberdare. Thanks again.

Comment

what's the name of the parents? something common like jones? like posted up thread, have you talked to the cemetery to see the grave details? dates of burial, names of people in the grave etc.

Comment

I haven't spoken to anyone yet, I've been trying to find records on ancestry but not knowing any birth or death dates for the babies makes it little hit and miss. I'm not sure there's anyone at the cemetery all the time, didn't see anyone the last time I was there. The surname is cousins, I'm looking for an Anne, Beatrice, Myrtle and Percival. My mother calls it the babies grave so they must have had short lives. I will have to try rock grounds in Aberdare to see if they have records.
                  thank you.

Comment

There is unlikely to be anyone at the cemetery all the time unless they have a house or office in the grounds. I suggest you contact them with the details that Elaine posted though and I'm sure they will be able to help.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

ynysybwl is a village near rhonda in glamorganshire. rhonda is in the pontypridd registration district. assuming your family is buried near to where they lived, here are some possibles:

birth- beatrice jane cousins, sept qtr 1904, pontypridd.
                      death- beatrice jane cousins, age 0. dec qtr 1904, pontypridd.

birth- myrtle m. cousins. mother's maiden name: king. sept qtr 1916. pontypridd.
                      death- myrtle m. cousins, age 0. mar qtr, 1917, pontypridd.

birth- percival f. cousins, mother's maiden: king. mar qtr 1918, pontypridd.
                      death- percival f. cousins, age 0. jun qtr 1918, pontypridd.

there are 8 births for cousins with mother's name king int he birth indexes. 1911/12/14/15/16/18/19/21. but no anne, so i gather she was born before 1911, as that's when mother's maiden name is included in the indexes. though can't see a marriage of cousins/king in wales, or one in 1897.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        ynysybwl is a village near rhonda in glamorganshire. rhonda is in the pontypridd registration district. assuming your family is buried near to where they lived, here are some possibles:

birth- beatrice jane cousins, sept qtr 1904, pontypridd.
                        death- beatrice jane cousins, age 0. dec qtr 1904, pontypridd.

birth- myrtle m. cousins. mother's maiden name: king. sept qtr 1916. pontypridd.
                        death- myrtle m. cousins, age 0. mar qtr, 1917, pontypridd.

birth- percival f. cousins, mother's maiden: king. mar qtr 1918, pontypridd.
                        death- percival f. cousins, age 0. jun qtr 1918, pontypridd.

there are 8 births for cousins with mother's name king int he birth indexes. 1911/12/14/15/16/18/19/21. but no anne, so i gather she was born before 1911, as that's when mother's maiden name is included in the indexes. though can't see a marriage of cousins/king in wales, or one in 1897.
                        Hi, thank you so much for all that and so very sorry for not responding sooner. I haven't been on here for a while and must have missed an alert for this reply. They are all very helpful, thank you. I found out today that she may have had 21 children in total and I have found a lot of possibles, including the ones you've mentioned. I have the marriage cert of Thomas Henry Cousins and Margaret Jane King, 2 Feb 1897, Register Office, Pontypridd. Thank you x

Comment

Have you seen the last three messages on the 'New to Family Tree Forum' Thread Currie? Two people were hoping to contact you as they are researching Cousins too - http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...e-Forum/page27
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 22-05-14, 11:02.

Comment

Thank you, I will have a look at that

Comment

Originally posted by currie1972 View Post
                              Thank you, I will have a look at that
                              I've been in touch with the one lady, who turns out to be my 2nd cousin. It's got me back into it, i seemed to run out of steam for a while. I have sent the other person a pm. Thanks again.

Comment

You're welcome, hope it helps you to progress and always nice to find a connection to someone

Comment

Working...
                                X