Do they appear twice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do they appear twice?

I have been looking at the Avery family of Bristol for some time now and would appreciate someone else's view.

My Averys are all saddler and harness makers and were from the St Philip and St Jacob area.

John Smith Avery born 1865 appears with his wife (Sarah Jane) in Bulls Place, Bristol ref 13/2376 in 1901.
    There is also a John S Avery born 1964, Gloucester, Gloucestershire in East Ham, Essex in 1901 - ref 13/1605 who is a saddler and harness maker. Is this the same man?

Two places below this East Ham John, is a Smith Avery who I believe to be his younger brother- Joseph George Smith Avery. He doesn't appear anywhere else. Confusingly though, between the 2 brothers is a Joseph George which is why Joseph Avery was possibly down as just Smith Avery.

Strangely, John' son (John Albert Smith Avery 1893) was listed at the home address in Bristol but also appears on the census in hospital. Another child Mabel (1899) is not with the family in 1901 but there is also no birth registration for her.

I would value someone's opinion as to whether the 2 Johns are the same person and also thoughts on Mabel. Was it just a really busy and confusing time and was she accidentally missed off the census,was she missed off as they had forgotten to register her and worried they would be in trouble or was she else where? Her parents had died by 1911 and whe was boarding with a local family.

It's possible that John S Avery is listed twice as the forms were left with people for several days before they had to be collected by the enumerator so he might have filled it in and then gone to East Ham and got included again - we have seen t before where people are entered twice.

This would apply especially in the case of the one in hospital I would think.

Some children's births were not registered for a variety of reasons and the fact of a failure to register could easily account for her being left off the census for fear of getting into trouble and having to pay the hefty fine for non-registration if caught!

Margaret

Comment

it's possible peoplle just got confused as well. my 2nd great grandparents listed all of their living children in 1911, the eldest 3 were married and moved out. the 4th was my great grandmother, who was enumerated with her employer as well. so not sure who she lived with, but maybe the local enumerator knew she was still single and maybe was at home with parents now and then.

Comment

Working...
      X