Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• findmypast and familysearch

i was reading the new forum on fmp, and they said this:

We have a large catalogue of UK parish data pre-1837 that we working to get onto the site as quickly as possible. As we migrate findmypast to it’s new platform, as we announced recently, we will be able to release more of these record sets more regularly.

As well as this, we have recently announced a partnership with FamilySearch.org, to make their extensive collection of UK records available to our findmypast customers. The work to launch those records on the site is continuing.
    Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

are they referring to adding their indexes onto familysearch, or are they saying they will be adding images from the familysearch indexes?

My guess is that that they are doing something similar to what familysearch is doing with Ancestry. Making available the free records alongside the subscribed records so that they come up in one search rather than having to search in two places.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

that's quite interesting. fmp were saying on another 'idea' that they would be looking to add more images rather than transcripts in future. they were also saying they were adding more scots records, from familysearch, so just wondering how they will do that......since scotlandspeople is owned by the same company.

Comment

From comments I read, made by unhappy familysearch transcribers, it sounded as if the 2 large companies were paying for the digitalisation of the images, so that the LDS team of transcribers could do the donkey work of transcription, which would enable an index to be made. The transcriptions would be viewable on familysearch; the index and images would be viewable only through the site which had financed the operation.
        It was reported that some of the transcribers were cross at what they felt was misuse of their time and good will - they were transcribing with the expectation that their work would be freely accessible to all. Technically I suppose this still applies, as we shall all be able to view the transcriptions for free on familysearch. However, the images will only be accessible on the pay site, and only as a result of the hard work of the LDS volunteers.
        (I don't know whether or not this scenario is correct - it was the "interesting" dual philosophy which captured my attention!)

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 30-01-14, 17:13.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

that actually makes a heap of sense janet. not really a nice way to go about it, but everyone is trying to outdo each other in which records are uploaded and how quickly. fmp were saying they will be doing monthly uploads, and even weekly at some point. so i wonder if digitisation is quick, how the transcripts will go. if they upload the images and wait for transcripts, it better not be like their lincolnshire records.....they are a total mess.

Comment

Working...
          X