Any Indian experts, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Indian experts, please?

I have eagerly awaited the launch of the India Office Records and have found a record I really need in the British India Births and Baptisms collection. Only a transcription is available, no image for this record.

The information is scant; name, year of birth, year of baptism, father's surname, place and an archive ref and Folio number. Would the original record contain more information? The India Office do offer a search and copy service but I think it may be £30 for one record. (I need to double check) and I really want to establish what if anything else it might contain before committing to such a huge outlay.

Many thanks,
    Helen in Glos

pretty sure FMP have plans to add these records to their site this year. i don't think anymore information would be included. if it's from familysearch though, you could order it using the photoduplication service.

Comment

The ones I have looked at have transcribed everything that is on the original image so I'm not sure that you would get much more.

Kyle - they were launched yesterday: http://www.findmypast.co.uk/

and

Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

i've seen that after i posted. i've seen transcript and picture buttons to most of the entries, but the ones i only saw transcripts for were quite recent records, 1940's. maybe they have some sort of agreement about those.

i don't know if that's expensive for a record from the india office? maybe ask them for a quote?

Comment

Thanks all for your input. I subscribe to the Rootsweb India list and have decided to enquire there before risking ordering an expensive copy that may not hold any more info. I will let everyone know the outcome.
          Helen in Glos

Comment

I have found records that I had previously slogged into the BL to see. The transcriptions seem to have pretty much everything that's on the original. I guess the only reasons to persist in aiming for the original are to confirm the accuracy of the transcription and in case there's some margin note that hasn't made it onto the transcription... margin notes can be very illuminating... where they exist! If FMP is planning to digitize the other items anyway, it's probably just as well to wait.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine, I just was hoping, against the odds that the original may record more specific dates, address, occupation more than anything.

In other cases I would be happy with just the transcription but in this instance I really wanted to be able to fill in the details. It relates to a living relative and she has never had a birth certificate, which as you can imagine has caused many problems over the years. She was born in India, but her father died when she was only 4 years old, so she knows very little about him. She arrived in the UK in 1947 after independence, traveling on her mother's passport. Aside from the family tree aspect it would be fantastic for her to have more information.
              Helen in Glos

Comment

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazi...rs&utm_content=

This is what WDYTYA magazine says in the link above.

Edna

Comment

If she travelled on a British passport, the authorities must have seen some documentation to include her on her mother's passport.
                  I wonder if it would be worth her approaching the Passport Office direct to see if they could provide any details.?

We have communicated with them in the past and they were very approachable and helpful, although our enquiry was of a general nature regarding a wife travelling on a husband's passport and they confirmed that for her to be included, proof would have had to have been presented.

One would hope that an enquiry from a living person about their own travel would be treated favourably.

Gwyn

Comment

In the absence of a birth certificate, I'd have thought a certified copy of that record that you've found would be of some significance?

Is there an overseas birth registration? Not forgetting that it might have spelling errors in the index.

Christine
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 30-01-14, 21:15.
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Some members of the India List are saying that there are glitches with the site and some of the actual records are not showing just the transcripts and where there is supposed to be a place shown where names of places can be checked that is not working, they suggest that if you have a problem with anything then let FMP know about it as its the only way they will find what errors are.

Personally I would wait until the crush is over and things settle down a bit

Edna

Comment

i've seen records on the india office search site. i thought not much info was included in the transcripts (18th century), as it was just name, date, and age at burial. but accessing the images, cause of death, occupation, and husband's names were all in records, but not transcripts. this was 18th century sumatra, so different records, but maybe you will be lucky with 20th century records, and more info is included.

Comment

Thank you all.

Christine, a really good idea, she has had alot of dealings with the passport office because they did feel that she didn't exist for a while! She believes that the all the travel arrangements including the passport for her mother and all the children was arranged by the British Army at teh time of Independence. Her mother had remarried a British serviceman and the whole family travelled under the surname of her step father, this of course was not really her name and has proved really tricky.

Anyway, at the age of 79 she still travels extensively, has a valid passport and is even off to India in March - she is amazing. Her birth detials are just for her own curiosity.

I have found and ordered overseas certificates for her younger brother but have still not found hers.

Thanks again.
                          Helen in Glos

Comment

How susceptible is her name to mistranscription? My own maiden name appeared incorrectly in the marriage indexes for many years until I spotted the error. It won't have been corrected for FreeBMD, FMP & Ancestry and the like but the GRO own one should be ok now.

Christine

Comment

Christine, it's very susceptible to mistranscription - thanks for the prompt, I think I will have another look through the overseas indexes.
                              Helen in Glos

Comment

Progress! The British Library had published a list of all the records digitised on FMP. http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpreg...dia/index.html

It also states:

Some of the records in this service may contain details for individuals who are still living, and therefore full-image views and transcriptions have been redacted so that only a basic index is available. In line with the Information Commissioner’s advice on data protection, this is set at:

100 years for birth/baptism records

84 years for marriage/career records

The full records may be consulted in person at the British Library.

So now this makes complete sense to me as the record I referred to in my original post was a 1935 baptism and belongs to a living relative.
                                Helen in Glos

Comment

so would you be able to email them and get the record yourself? i hope fmp adds more. i know for a fact fort marlbrorough has records pre 1759, and they are on the british india office website.

Comment

hopefully this link will take you to families in british india site which has tips on howto search FMP Indian records.
                                    Angelina

Comment

Yes, you can apply for the record. A certified copy is £18 if you have the full reference details.
                                      Helen in Glos

Comment

UPDATE

The certified copy of baptism record has arrived in the post this morning. It does contain the details missing from the transcription and I am chuffed to bits. It was easy to order on line and only took a few days to arrive.
                                        Helen in Glos

Comment

Working...
                                        X