Is there any way I can do this ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any way I can do this ?

My g grandfather was a laceworker from Somerset & he moved up to work in the lace industry in Nottingham towards the end of the nineteenth century, as the lace industry went into decline in Somerset. I'm curious to know how many other Somerset laceworkers did this, rather than try their luck for a different kind of job, say, in Bristol (he was only 20 & single, so in a way it was easier for him to move...in another way he would have adapted quickly to learning something new)

Is there any way I can do a search of the relevant census to see how many people, living in Nottingham at that time, had been born in Somerset ?

Thanks

I think it depends how much time you have to spare Grey I just went into the 1901 census in Ancestry for England - put place of birth Somerset and residing in Nottingham. I don't know how many pages of 50 there were but I just opened one man aged 36 at random on the first page and he was in the lace industry. I think you could possible spend a few hours opening them all to look at occupation though and I don't know of any other method.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 29-01-14, 16:14.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

If you find your g.grandfather on the census in Nottingham, you could try looking at the neighbouring streets, where it's likely most peeps were lace workers too, and see how many of them were Somerset-born. Just an idea.

STG
      Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for very good ideas....I don't want to know the exact number...I just wanted to know if there were many of them....after all, I can't imagine many other people born in Somerset living in Nottm at that time (although I have a friend whose g gfather went from a small Somerset village to Derby to work on the railway)

Comment

Reversing the counties - born Nottinghamshire, living Somerset produces only three results. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=rfs&gst=&so=3

Comment

Thanks very much, susan. It'll be interesting to see how many of these were relatives/neighbours from Somerset of my g grandfather

Comment

Working...
            X