Crimea war I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimea war I think

I am looking to see what I can find record wise on my gg grandfather who joined in the 3rd hussars in 1880. Would any online info be on the national archives website or should I be looking somewhere else.

Thank you for your help

Gill

Hi Elaine. Yes I had tried and came up with no results!

Comment

There are a few suggestions on our reference library page for pre 1914 records ..

.. and might be worth taking a look at the National Archive research guides:

.. and hopefully one of our military research "experts" will be along soon to help!
      Elaine

Comment

Crimea War was 1852 to 1856, so did he join another regiment for the Crimea War? In 1880 he might have been stationed in Ireland. Have you found him in the army in 1881,1891 and 1901 census, though by 1901 he may be in the Boer War and those records are on FMP.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 29-01-14, 11:15.

Comment

Stations of the British Army 2 April 1881

3rd (King's Own) Hussars Colchester 1868 to Bombay - returned home from Bombay 1879.
          He would have joined them at Colchester probably then in 1880. Have you tried 1881 census for Colchester.

What was his name? We can have a look for him.
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 29-01-14, 11:41.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you for your replies. The 1881 census has him in barracks in Colchester. His full name is william john beaumont b 1831 c in Harrow, Middlesex. His fathers nAme is william john beaumont as well. Thank you

Comment

Sorry I believe he joined in January 1880

Comment

I'm confused. There's a William Beaumont aged 19 in the 3rd Hussars in 1881 stationed at Norwich, but I can't see one in Colchester. Could you post a link ? Also, how do you know he joined them in 1880 ? The one in Norwich joined in January 1880, but he was born in Hoxton in 1862, not 1831 (although his place of birth says Harrow on the census).
                Last edited by Rick; 29-01-14, 13:36. Reason: typo
                Rick

Comment

I couldn't find him in 1881 either Rick glad it isn't just me

Comment

also am I being naive but did they take men of such an age in the Army

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      also am I being naive but did they take men of such an age in the Army
                      I thought that too. Perhaps Gill could just confirm she isn't getting father and son confused ? The Norwich one has a father William born about 1833 - they are in Camberwell in 1871 and he is a lithographer.
                      Rick

Comment

The Military records of the Norwich William b c1862 are on FMP. Definitely the 3rd Hussars, joined up January 1880, father William. The only difference is that his pob is given as Hoxton.

The records list several brothers too!
                        Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                          The Military records of the Norwich William b c1862 are on FMP. Definitely the 3rd Hussars, joined up January 1880, father William. The only difference is that his pob is given as Hoxton.

The records list several brothers too!
                          He is back with his family in 1891 in Camberwell too. Brother's names match except for Richard, which is probably meant to be Robert.
                          Rick

Comment

Hm, something is not quite right here. If he was baptised 1831, and still in the army in 1881, age 50, that sounds very doubtful that is one and the same person. My Grt Grandfather was baptised 1834, joined the army 1851, just in time for the Crimea War, and was pensioned 1876 at Colchester, having completed 25 years service, which was the usual for an army person. My Grt Grandfather's service records are at Kew, and include Attestation Papers as well as Muster Records. The Attestation Records are to be found online in recent years through FMP but the Muster Records are still only available by a visit to Kew, or by finding somebody who can do the research for you.

Maybe it is his father baptised 1831 and he was also in the army? Once one joins then you can often get "Army Families". My Grt Grandfather was part of an "army family" as I have founand still finding brothers, sons, uncles all joinig up and if they have the same name it can be a nightmare!

Janet
                            Last edited by Janet; 29-01-14, 14:21.

Comment

I will come back with some info on this just got to sort my paperwork out to double check my facts so I don't waste anyone's time!

Comment

Working...
                              X