Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

scroll type display? also uploading your tree/research to a site for others to access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scroll type display? also uploading your tree/research to a site for others to access

Hello there I'm wondering if you can help me to locate something to store and make accessible a 2 foot by 10 foot rolled up family history chart. I had one printed for my father based on his extensive genealogical research and am wondering whether there is some kind of gadget which would help him to unroll it in small sections to look at it (it's too big to frame/put on the wall!).

I'm also wondering whether to upload my dad's entire database (currently in Brother's Keeper, over 5000 individuals) to some kind of genealogical website which I believe you can do in case the contents are useful to anyone else's research? Any information about these websites, how they work and the names of any suitable ones would be gratefully accepted.
    Thanks for reading

Hi Penny,
    Welcome to the forum.

Re publishing data to the internet, you will find some examples on our Genealogy Software page in the reference library - click here

I am not sure about the gadget - there are a few sites for genealogy supplies, such as

Might be worth looking on their website or even contacting them.
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by PennyB View Post
      Hello there I'm wondering if you can help me to locate something to store and make accessible a 2 foot by 10 foot rolled up family history chart. I had one printed for my father based on his extensive genealogical research and am wondering whether there is some kind of gadget which would help him to unroll it in small sections to look at it (it's too big to frame/put on the wall!).

I'm also wondering whether to upload my dad's entire database (currently in Brother's Keeper, over 5000 individuals) to some kind of genealogical website which I believe you can do in case the contents are useful to anyone else's research? Any information about these websites, how they work and the names of any suitable ones would be gratefully accepted.
      Thanks for reading

Welcome to the FTF.

I don't know of a gadget for the family tree chart. maybe it would be better to print out sections on smaller paper restricting the chart to a certain branch of the tree say.

As regards up loading to a website you could put it on Ancestry but may have to join to do that or Tribal Pages. Genes Reunited is also a well used site. Finally it was mentioned here tht the Society of Geneologists accepts family trees for others to access.

I'm sure others on this site will come along shortly and add more options for you to consider.

Margaret

Comment

Hello Elaine
        Many thanks for your suggestions which I will definitely follow up on
        with much appreciation

Penny

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
          Welcome to the FTF.

I don't know of a gadget for the family tree chart. maybe it would be better to print out sections on smaller paper restricting the chart to a certain branch of the tree say.

As regards up loading to a website you could put it on Ancestry but may have to join to do that or Tribal Pages. Genes Reunited is also a well used site. Finally it was mentioned here tht the Society of Geneologists accepts family trees for others to access.

I'm sure others on this site will come along shortly and add more options for you to consider.

Margaret
          Hi Margaret
          These look like good places to go to with my Dad's database. He has carefully and meticulously done his research for 30 years or so, but is feeling his years now, and I sense a desire that the fruits of his labours should be useful/interesting to others.
          many thanks

Penny

Comment

How about investigating somewhere like this for your printed tree? Maybe they can be horizontal so that you don't need to look at it with your head on one side.

Huge range of banner stands from just £24. All backed by a lowest price promise and printed in-house ready for fast delivery. Shop online today.

I reckon that there is great scope for an invention here ....
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
              How about investigating somewhere like this for your printed tree? Maybe they can be horizontal so that you don't need to look at it with your head on one side.

Huge range of banner stands from just £24. All backed by a lowest price promise and printed in-house ready for fast delivery. Shop online today.

I reckon that there is great scope for an invention here ....

Indeed I think there is, unfortunately I have no practical skills - just the idea... Those banner stands look like a possibility although I think they are too short for the length of the chart.
              I did come across a photo of a scribe working on Torah scrolls and it looked like he had the sort of gadget which would be suitable but have not as yet found out where to get one from...
              Anyway thanks very much for your help.

Comment

Yes the banners stands would be far too short at only about 6 foot tall.
                I would suggest rolling onto a roller for a window blind, or perhaps even just buy some round timber, cut to length and roll the chart onto that.
                Scrolls are simple wrapped om round timber at both ends, very easy to make.

If you want it to be longer lasting and more durable get it printed by a banner maker (such as Vistaprint) onto vinyl.
                Cheers
                Guy
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                  Yes the banners stands would be far too short at only about 6 foot tall.
                  I would suggest rolling onto a roller for a window blind, or perhaps even just buy some round timber, cut to length and roll the chart onto that.
                  Scrolls are simple wrapped om round timber at both ends, very easy to make.

If you want it to be longer lasting and more durable get it printed by a banner maker (such as Vistaprint) onto vinyl.
                  Cheers
                  Guy
                  She already has it printed. I was wondering about getting an empty banner cassette direct from the supplier. Bit of lateral thinking.
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                  X