Broadband usage a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadband usage a question

This is going to sound ridiculous but how does that work? if say you are on a site but walk away and leave it for ages does that count as usage ? also if you are just logged on does that count ?
    I am asking because I got an email from BT to say I only have 3.65 GB left from 10 GB for January, which to me means I wont overrun it.
    Thanks

I get an email off BT when broadband usage hits 7 gb out of 10 gb as a warning. but i check it online every few days to see what level i am at. if you go over 10gb you get charged even if its a tiny bit. but the usage calculator on BT only updates every 24 hours so what you see is what was true for the previous day- so not in real time.

no idea about answer to your question so will watch this post with interest
    Last edited by angelina; 27-01-14, 10:40.
    Angelina

Comment

I thought it was whatever you download counts as part of your 10GB. Don't think you are downloading if you are just displaying a web site. Would be grateful for others to put me right if I am wrong.

Just been and checked my account for broadband usage. Didn't know you could do that. It shows I have a monthly allowance of 40GB. Since 1st January I have used 7.21 GB and my average monthly usage is 3.23 GB. My computer is on from 9 a.m. until 1 a.m. Email page open all the time. Most of the time logged on and page open for FTM. Do visit lots of other sites too.

Hope this information is of help.
      Last edited by Linda from Murton; 27-01-14, 10:48. Reason: More information
      Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Thanks Angelina I only joined BT last month and was advised on here that their 10GB would be enough for me unless I did a lot of downloading films etc which I dont, so if I stay the same the 3.65 GB should see me through to February then?
        And Linda thanks for your reply too if thats all you use you might be better off on the one I am on 10GB seems to cover a lot, unless of course yours is cheaper?

Comment

Having a website displayed on your browser does not use any more bandwidth, it is only when you first open it that some of your allowance is used.

Most websites only use a very tiny bit of your allowance, unless they have a lot of high resolution pictures. Doing a search on Ancestry for example will use very little to display the transcribed results, because it is mainly text and static images like buttons that should be cached and don't need downloading again. However if you view the image you will use a bit more.
          Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
          Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks Pete you have explained it well so unless I start watching anything online this 10GB should be enough for me as I think you said when I first enquired about BT? thanks again.

Comment

This is BT's broadband usage policy and it also shows some examples of how much certain things use

Jackie

Comment

Ive just realized why my usage has gone up in January. I got a hudl and sometimes watch tv programmes on iPlayer. Shall have to monitor that one. I'm on BT Infinity Val - it costs me £18 a month. More than happy to pay that much for the speeds I get.
                Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Val- why not keep a diary for a few months to see what your usage really is? maybe write it down every few days tho bear in mind that clicking on your BTaccount takes a bit of broadband usage - had to have this explained to me by the BT technician as i didnt know this but it ties in with what Pete told you. I never download films or watch tv on computer just lark about on ancestry and other FH sites!!!
                  Angelina

Comment

Thanks Jackie will take a look at that, Linda we cant get Infinity here yet, Angelina I hadn't realised that to click on my BT account takes usage too?

Comment

I'm on BT Infinity 40Gb, got an email today warning me I've used more than 28Gb, in fact 31.30Gb. This is due to downloading programs using SKY ONDEMAND. Don't forget UPLOADING also counts towards your usage.
                      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....om/~steveabye/

Comment

I reckon I shall have to go to a bigger allowance as I am stopping myself from watching video links and programmes I missed

Comment

Hi Val

I changed over to Plus Net last March and went on to the 10GB package but soon found out it was cheaper to move on to the Unlimited Package .
                          I do not have to keep checking my limit now , so bite the bullet and upgrade , you know it makes sense .

Ken

Comment

your right Ken I had more or less decided I should but you have convinced me , why is it since I started this package I have been missing stuff on telly I could watch on iplayer but wont in case it exceeds my allowance.:(

Comment

We've always had unlimited as my son needs it for his IT work. You don't need to worry about going over your limit and it doesn't really cost that much more.
                              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy I am going over to unlimited now.

Comment

Like you Val, I moved to BT at the beginning of January after having problems with talktalk's speed and 'drop off' Two weeks after having an engineer working on the line for two days (not a problem within the house) they wanted to send another so I accepted a cut price broadband for 6 months with BT, however I wasn't asked how much usage I wanted, I was asked what I used the pc for. I occasionally watch a tv programme but I won't be able to do that now.

I have gone over in the first month so the tv is not an option. I will try to keep within my usage and see how it goes for a while and if it's ok without the tv I will be happy. I thought about an upgrade but maybe I wouldn't get the discounted broadband that I have for the first 6 months.

I don't expect a good broadband speed in the area where I live but I was told I would get a better speed with bt as first the broadband has to go through talktalk and they filter the speed at busy times.....One thing I didn't expect was that I would use up my broadband allowance for the month...seeing as they made the decision about the package I had. Does your package include a discount and will you still receive it if you upgrade?
                                  Kathleen

Comment

I dont get a discount as such Kath ,I paid a year in advance for the line which anybody can do and thats a bit cheaper.
                                    I got the package with £50 voucher from Sainsbury.
                                    I would have thought if you upgrade you lose the discount but I could be wrong?
                                    My speed was amazing the first couple of weeks but it seems to have slowed down a bit now ?? If you aren't watching the iplayer and stuff I dont see how you could have used up your allowance already?
                                    I did also purchase a BT Duel Band 2X2 wireless dongle for £9 which is supposed to choose between 2 channels to give the best performance , but must admit not installed it yet as I'm quite happy with the speed.
                                    I am going to update my allowance as its a new month now.
                                    If you go online to their site you can chat online with an advisor they should be able to help you.
                                    Good luck
                                    Last edited by Guest; 01-02-14, 23:09.

Comment

Working...
                                    X