Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it appears the line is dead...

I have been researching my mums side of the family for some time,
    but it appears there is no one left to help me and infact the George line is at a dead end.
    William George born 1924 died 1959
    lived in lower Holloway.
    he died when my mum was 4 so she knows nothing of her grandparents except on Williams birth certificate it states Sidney George as the father and mothers maiden name Flanagan.
    i find a kate Sophia Flanagan who could maybe fit the bill.
    there is a list of births i have found with Flanagan as the mother a couple appear to have died at birth.
    any help would be muchly apprieciated.

one of Williams sisters is possible phyliss George.

please help.x

I think we need a few more details please.
    Where was William born?
    Where did he die?
    Did he have a middle name?
    Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 26-01-14, 17:04.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

he was born 14th august 1924 address on birth cert 6 hope cottage eden grove. i think this is Islington.
      no middle name and died Stevenage, herts thanks.x

Comment

he died 14th april 1958 on my mums fourth birthday :-(

Comment

Hi Jammin,

From ancestry

5 March 1907 St Stephens , Islington

Sidney George, 31 yrs, bricklayer, father Sidney George, bricklayer
          Kate Flanagan, 21 yrs, father Robert Flanagan, bottle ?

Just off to check 1911 census,

bcbrit
          George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

If Kate Flanagan was the mother named on William's birth certificate then I think this is his parents marriage: Islington Q1 1907 1b 349
            and Sidney and Kate show up in Islington at 51 Andover Road on the 1911 census with four young children
            Reference RG14PN833 RG78PN29 RD10 SD3 ED13 SN295
            Last edited by JudithM; 26-01-14, 17:41. Reason: added reference
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

i found the 1911 census for them was kinda hoping with help with the children listed on there if you can help?x

Comment

By 1921 Kate and Sydney were on the electoral roll at 6 Hope Grove, Eden Place http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/17...l=ReturnRecord
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

1911 Census

51 Andover Road, Finsbury Park, London

Sidney George .,36 bricklayer
                  Kate Sophia ,30
                  Sydney Lyne, 4
                  Sarah Selena, 3
                  Anne Sophia, 1
                  Emma Marie , under 1 month

4 children born, all living. 5 years married

bcbrit
                  George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

On William's birth cert does it give Hope Street, Eden Grove Lower Holloway as an address?

If so, the electoral rolls show Sidney George and Kate Sophia George at that same address.

Sidney,bachelor, 31 , Bricklayer, son of Sidney George, brickmaker and Kate Flanagan, 21, spinster,daughter of Robert Flanagan, Cattle Dealer, were married 9 Mar 1907 at St Stephen Islington.

This couple appear on the 1911 census living at 51 Andover Road, Finsbury Park Islington, with the following children
                    Sydney Lyne George,4
                    Sarah Selena George, 3
                    Anne Sophia George, 1
                    Emma Maria George, (under 1 month)

Beverley

Comment

On ancestry there are two trees - the George Family Tree, and the Endersby/George/Gil/Anderson tree.

Are these yours ?

bcbrit

Comment

8 Scholefield Rd
                        Sidney George,head,39, labourer Bricklayer, b. Norfolk Sproughton
                        Maria George, wife,39, charwoman, b. Hamps Extons
                        Mary A George, dau,14, servant Domestic,b. Surrey Wandsworth
                        Frederick George, (mistakenly entered as daur),11, scholar, b. Middx Islington
                        Selina George, daur,9,scholar, b. Middx Islington
                        Lidia George, daur,7,scholar, b. Middx Islington
                        Sidney George, son,5,scholar, b. Middx Islington
                        Royal George, son,3,b. Middx Islington
                        Alice George, daur,10 mnths.,b. Middx Islington

Beverley

Comment

Sidney George and Maria appear on the 1911 census living at 99 Andover Road Finsbury Park . The assumed date of marriage is 1872. There seems to have been a job lot of baptisms 25 May 1877 for the first five children

Beverley

Comment

However, given the eldest daughter, Mary Ann was born abt 1867 according to the 1881 census, this may be the correct marriage for Sidney and Maria...espec. since Maria was born Hampshire

Sidney George, 22, b. 1842, marr. 31 Jul 1864 Bishops Waltham, Hampshire.
                            Father, William George, spouse, Maria Sutton
                            Ancestry.com. England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973 [database on-line]

Beverley

Comment

yes those are my tree. and did you find the job lot baptisms on ancestry mcbev?. the children of Sidney and kate George seem to disappear totally after the 1911 census, and have no further info or leads the only thing found was that one census.
                              i found birth certs for some more children born 1920s mothers maiden name Flanagan i think these are also from the same family.
                              the only one i managed to track was phyliss m George who i think married an albert middleton and on the back of a picture of my granddad there is some writing and it is signed your sister phyliss. thanks everyone hope you can help me further as these children would be aunts and uncles of my mums.x
                              Last edited by jammin208; 26-01-14, 18:44.

Comment

Yes...in http://www.ancestry.com/rd/viewrecor...8&rpid=5088658 Type in George as surname only, then Sidney for father, Maria for mother. The date of birth for each child is noted in the far right column

Beverley

Comment

I also noted marriages for some of those children in the LMA marriages which would give you leads as to what became of William's aunts

Beverley

Comment

I think selina married a man last name stuckley. how would I obtain further info on the children listed on the 1911 census?? those would of been my mums aunts and uncles and would be lovely to have more info on them. thanks for all your help.x

Comment

I really must head off to bed...but are these the others you think may be William's siblings, all born Islington?
                                      Phyllis F George, b. Q1 1920
                                      Dorothy M George, b. Q2 1922
                                      Alice George, b. Q2 1926

I'm not sure how you can track forward in the UK - here in Australia, I would look at the electoral rolls, but if you don't know the sisters married names, that will be hard.

I would look in the local newspapers here to see if there were wedding announcements, but would people have done that in the UK in that era? The probate index might offer some clues...sometimes a relative is named.

Beverley

Comment

thanks for that. and those are the other children although I think there is a couple more I cant tell you without flicking onto ancestry. I live along way away from the area I am researching my mum moved away at age five and other than my grandma who has been diagnosed with dementia most information is from ancestry or from buying certificates. ill let you get off to bed and add those other children to the list.x

Comment

Working...
                                        X