WW1 enlistment questions ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 enlistment questions ...

A 27 yr old, married man, with 2 children, enlisted in his local regiment May 1915.

- According to research undertaken WW1 recruits had to be at least 5' 3" ... according to his service record he was 5' 1 5/8" (five feet, one and five/eighth inches) - should they have recruited him?

- do you think he volunteered?

I presumed that he enlisted because he received callup paper, but after doing some research I'm not sure.
    Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 25-01-14, 11:42.
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

A possible reason? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bantam_%28military%29

Comment

In 1915 he would have been been a "volunteer" when he enlisted - conscription wasn't introduced until 1916 by the Military Service Act. However - the term "volunteer" needs to be understood in the terms of the immense social and peer pressure on men to enlist at that time.

Bantam regiments were introduced quite early in the war but physical size and fitness of available men remained a a real problem and led to many recruitment standards being altered or increasingly ignored as the war went on.

Have you found his service record (if it survives) on Ancestry to confirm which regiment/battalion he was in ?
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
        Thanks Susan - that's very interesting info.

Comment

In 1915 he would have been been a "volunteer" when he enlisted - conscription wasn't introduced until 1916 by the Military Service Act.
          Thanks Anthony for confirming what I thought. I found the Act + info about National Registration Act 1915 and deduced that he'd enlisted before the act and conscription. Can't understand why he volunteered as his eldest brother (who'd been a soldier for over 16 yrs) was killed in action 3 months earlier ???

Have you found his service record (if it survives) on Ancestry to confirm which regiment/battalion he was in ?
          Yes, found his service record, but unable to find if his other 2 brothers enslisted - I'm trying to tie up a few loose ends.
          Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 25-01-14, 12:24.

Comment

give us their names Lass, might find them

Comment

Does anyone know how long it was between volunteering for army WW1 and actually turning up at Regiment for service?

e.g. how long did he have to sort out his will, photo of wife and children, say goodbyes etc ???

Comment

Look at his service record and it should show the date he signed up and the date he joined his training battalion ?
                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks again for your guidance Anthony.

Comment

Working...
                  X