Henry Taylor 1828

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Taylor 1828

I would like help with Henry Taylor and his family please.
    Henry Taylor born 1828 Chelsea. This is consistent on all census returns I have for him.
    Henry married Eliza Jane New on 13/2/1849, All Souls Church, St Marylebone. Henry’s father was Robert Taylor a Servant, deceased.
    Have not pinned down a death for him as there are several candidates.

So far I can’t find Henry on the 1841 census or a Robert Taylor, servant, in the London area. I haven’t been able to find a baptism for Henry either.

In 1851 he is a Solicitors Clerk, in 1861 and 1871 a Solicitors Managing Clerk. Then he changes tack and in 1881 and 1891 he is a Livery Stable Keeper. I am not having much luck finding out about Livery Stable Keepers in London; could someone with more knowledge help me out? Would it have been a better paid/better job, than a Solicitors Managing Clerk? Do you think he would have worked for himself or maybe attached to The London General Omnibus Company?

He had 4 children Eliza, Louisa, Mary Ann, William Henry.

Eliza was baptised 1/10/1848 at St Nicholas, Brighton so born out of wedlock. Don’t know why they picked Brighton but there are many Taylor families there so maybe they went to a relative. Eliza Jane came from Stanton Fitzwarren in Wiltshire so not her family. On 1851, 1861 census Eliza born Brighton, on 1871 born Hove. Can’t find her after 1871.

Louisa born 1852/53 birth registered Q1 1853. Cannot find her after 1871.

Mary Ann born 1855 Knightsbridge. My direct line, have been able to follow her ok.

William Henry born 1856/57 St Pancras, lots of William Henrys born St Pancras but have been able to follow him just haven’t pinned down his birth reg.

Any help with this family would be greatly appreciated, I don't have Ancestry so hoping something may be found there. I have to go out now but will be back later.

Edit - Sorry just noticed my dreadful pun (not intended)

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post

Eliza was baptised 1/10/1848 at St Nicholas, Brighton so born out of wedlock. Don’t know why they picked Brighton but there are many Taylor families there so maybe they went to a relative. Eliza Jane came from Stanton Fitzwarren in Wiltshire so not her family. On 1851, 1861 census Eliza born Brighton, on 1871 born Hove. Can’t find her after 1871.
    There is a possible marriage for her showing on Ancestry. I know you said you don't have access to Ancestry but I'll give you the link, you may be able to follow it up at your local library.

Eliza Taylor / Thomas Read Whiting
    Marriage: 9 Sep 1876
    Trinity Church, St Marylebone

Father of Eliza is shown as Henry Taylor, occupation Solicitor's clerk.
    Witnesses are: Henry Taylor and Mary Ann Taylor
    Elaine

Comment

William Henry born 1856/57 St Pancras, lots of William Henrys born St Pancras but have been able to follow him just haven’t pinned down his birth reg.
      Link in case it is of use in the future!

Possible marriage for William Henry Taylor - to Louisa Wells.
      23 Sep 1882 - Gray's Inn Road, Trinity.
      Father is given as Henry Taylor, occupation Stable Keeper

There is some similarity between the signature for Henry Taylor on this certificate, and the signature for Henry on the MC that I linked to in the last post for Eliza.
      Elaine

Comment

Mary Ann born 1855 Knightsbridge. My direct line, have been able to follow her ok.
        Who did Mary Ann marry?
        Do you have the certificate or do you know if it is available on Ancestry. If Henry (father) is a witness then it might be worth comparing signature with the other two.
        Elaine

Comment

.. and a possible marriage for Louisa

Louisa Taylor / Charles Frederick Bloodworth
          17 Aug 1872 St Pancras Parish Chapel

Father given as Henry Taylor - occupation Law Clerk

Henry is again a witness and some similarity to the other two signatures.

Maybe someone with an Ancestry sub would like to compare the three signatures and give their opinion!
          Elaine

Comment

Maybe someone with an Ancestry sub would like to compare the three signatures and give their opinion!
            I think definitely signed by the same person in all three records. 'Taylor' is almost identical, the H in Henry a little different but Taylor clinches it.

Comment

Thanks Susan!
              Always good to get a second opinion - sometimes it's wishful thinking which makes you think they match!
              Elaine

Comment

Thank you so much Elaine and Susan, I have been stuck on the marriages for ages as Taylor is quite a common name. Will now follow the trail...

Comment

Oh dear, following on from Elaine's info I have found that Louisa died 2 years after marrying Charles Bloodworth aged 22.

Eliza who married Thomas Whiting lived longer but was in hospital in 1911 and had no children.

I have found two refs for probate on Ancestry, one for a Henry Taylor in 1895 in Middlesex and one for an Eliza Taylor in 1892 Middlesex, would someone please look that up for me and give me the details. Eliza died in 1892 but there are a couple of candidates for Henry so I am hoping this is the right one.

Thank you

Comment

I have found two refs for probate on Ancestry, one for a Henry Taylor in 1895 in Middlesex and one for an Eliza Taylor in 1892 Middlesex, would someone please look that up for me and give me the details. Eliza died in 1892 but there are a couple of candidates for Henry so I am hoping this is the right one.

Thank you
                    Hi Caroline,
                    l've just emailed you copies (via ancestry) of these two records. The one for Eliza Taylor 1892 is definitely yours!
                    Christine
                    Researching:
                    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Hi Caroline,
                      l've now read thru your thread properly and have found your Henry Taylor dying on 16 Sept 1896 with probate granted 27 Nov 1896. I've sent you the image via ancestry email. Let me know if you can save the images when sent in this way. If you are only able to view them, I'll email them to you.
                      Christine
                      Last edited by Karamazov; 28-01-14, 16:14.
                      Researching:
                      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thank you Christine for the info, I have emailed you. I will send for the wills and hopefully find out more about this family.

Comment

Working...
                        X