De-cypher a signature please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-cypher a signature please.

From 1862 Liverpool............is it, Herbert or Robert or neither for the first name. The surname could be Mc Flee or Mc Hee none of which I come across before whilst Mc Kee is a remote possibility. Any other suggestions please?Fridaywitness.jpg

I would say McKee for the surname , but the first name could be Robert or Herbert, but maybe Harcourt ?
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks Antony, the two names don't look like they're written by the same person. We don't see many 'Harcourts' up here)

Comment

I would say Robert as the second letter does not look the same as the other e's. Second name would say McKee

Vera

Comment

looks like Hubert McKee to me... I don't think that the first letter is an 'R' as when written it tends to have more of a flourish,
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I would Say Hubert Mcflee, and by a left hander, not that it helps, letters are leaning forward.

Comment

I have just looked at the 1861 Census for Lancashire, and I could not find a McFlee, I could not find a Hubert McKee or a Herbert McKee, but I did find four Robert McKee,s 57, 17, 11 and 3 would any of these be the one.

Comment

I'm a left hander and my signature leans to the left. Think its something about the personality ie introverted.
                I digress> I changed my mind at one point and followed Julie with Hubert. But is a Mc (which I am) likely to call their child Hubert or Herbert.

Vera

Comment

Loved your responses, thank you.
                  I cant use the Census detail because I cant verify it..............all I know is that this person is a witness to a marriage ceremony.
                  Vera's suggestion of a 'Mc' being named Hubert is unlikely as is Herbert with 'Robert' being a better option.
                  In transcription terms, I'm obliged to type what I see............or think I see...............in this instance, what I think you see

Comment

Is it the actual parish marriage record that you're looking at? Reason I ask is that sometimes the parish records show the addresses of the witnesses at the time of marriage which might help work out the name and perhaps connection.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Yes JBee it's a photo of the original LDS Record though I haven't looked in their Site. When involved with Transcriptions, you would never finish a Register if you tried to check on every 'hiccup'.....................it's just enter what you think you see......to be honest I sometimes do a quick check of FreeBMD particularly with Bride & Groom names.

Comment

I see Hubert Mc Kee too

Edna

Comment

If it is Robert McKee a witness to a marriage that cuts to 2 people, I will have another look and put the details here.
                          Robert

Comment

Lancashire 1861 Census Transcript

Address: 2 Aintree Street Parish: Liverpool Registration District: Liverpool
                            Surname Forename Age Relation Occupation Birth Place
                            Mckee Alexander 42 Head Bootmaker Castle Bury, Ireland
                            Mckee Jane 40 Wife Bootmaker Castle Bury, Ireland
                            Mckee Robert 17 Son Bootmaker Castle Bury, Ireland
                            Mckee Arthur 15 Son Bootmaker Castle Bury, Ireland
                            Mckee Ann J 13 Daur Scholar Castle Bury, Ireland
                            Mckee Alexander 8 Son Scholar Liverpool, Lancashire
                            Mckee Hannah 5 Daur Scholar Liverpool, Lancashire
                            Mckee George 2 Son Scholar Liverpool, Lancashire
                            Mckee William 8M Son Liverpool, Lancashire
                            Stewart James 18 Lodger Bootmaker Ireland
                            This is the 17 year old

Comment

And this is the 57 year old, but in Blackburn

83 Penny Street Parish: Blackburn Registration District: Blackburn
                              Surname Forename Age Relation Occupation Birth Place
                              Mckee Ellen 25 Sister House Keeper Scotland
                              Mckee Robert 57 Boarder Retired Draper Scotland

Comment

You should only transcribe what you can read - all the suggestions above are possible so probably you should put something like "??bert McKee ?" (depending on the transcription rules you are working to).
                                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks for looking 'maesglass' ...........it could well be.....................and Edna, I wondered where you were
                                  Yes, your right Antony that's what should be entered.
                                  Last edited by AlanC; 24-01-14, 16:55.

Comment

Working...
                                  X