Latin help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latin help please

From a burial in Henley in 1560. Its a transcription of a transcription so might not be accurate!

Margaret, wife of John
    extra coemiterium quoniam occidit se cultello

I tried some online translation. Think it might mean "outside the graveyard". Did she kill herself with a knife????

Help please!
    Anne

YEARS since I did Latin, but I think you're right on both counts, Anne.

I think quoniam is "since" synonymous with "because of" or "hence" - she killed herself with a knife, hence is committed ......

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-01-14, 14:29.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Jay. I guess that would be why she was buried outside the graveyard?
      Anne

Comment

Suicide was a mortal sin and so she would have been buried outside the church, both literally and figuratively - not in consecrated ground and without benefit of a Christian burial service.

I have it in my mind that suicides were often buried at a crossroads. I also have it in my mind that suicide would appear as "selo de fe" but perhaps the clerk didn't wish to be quite so blunt?

OC

Comment

Thanks OC. My Latin is non existent and googling for translations only picks out the odd word leaving me to guess the meaning of the phrase. I found the first bit seems to mean outside the graveyard and cultello was something like the word for knife. I put the two together and hope I haven't made six!
          Anne

Comment

google translations: "outside the churchyard, because he killed himself with a knife" so obviously the gender is wrong, but the sentence makes sense, unlike some language translations it gives you!

Comment

Oh, thanks Kyle. I did't find the proper Google translation site. Where do I look, please?
              Anne

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                google translations: "outside the churchyard, because he killed himself with a knife" so obviously the gender is wrong, but the sentence makes sense, unlike some language translations it gives you!
                In Latin, the pronoun is included in the verb form, so occidit (3rd person singular) was used for he/she/it. Se is the reflexive pronoun, again meaning he/she/it, acted for or upon themselves.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Comment

Thanks, I'll bookmark that.

Comment

Working...
                    X