Murdered Cousin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murdered Cousin

Hi I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I am in the wrong place but I am trying to find out more information about the life and death of my fathers cousin Ruby Carter nee Cummings who was murdered by her husband name removed in 1960.Before his death my Dad often spoke of his cousin Ruby who was killed by her husband but he could not remember any details. I have managed to find out that it happened in Pennline in Glamorganshire in 1960 the has even been a chapter in a book Foul deeds and Suspicious Deaths in and around Cardiff by Mark Isaacs about it and there are a few internet articles about it but I would love to find out where she buried and if her son name removed is still alive and he was six at the time and beaten into a coma at the time of the attack.I would also like to know what became of name removed after he came out of prison I believe he may have remarried and maybe had another child and probably died in Cambridge in 1978.If anyone has any suggestions how I can confirm these things or find her grave or maybe even comes from the area and can remember them I would be so grateful.
    Kind Regards Julie Blake
    Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 21-01-14, 20:26. Reason: names of living persons removed

Hello Julie and welcome to the forum.

I have edited your post slightly to remove the names of possible living persons.

I am sure that there are plenty of people on here who will be able to assist you in your search, and if they require any more detailed information they will send you a PM (private message)
    Barbara

Comment

Hello Julie

I see you had some help on another forum - did you ever get the relevant marriage and death certs to see if father remarried and to follow up the possible marriage of the son?

OC

Comment

I sent you a PM Julie I found a newspaper article and sent you the link to it

Edna

Comment

Thank you Barbara ,and Edna thank you I have seen that before butthanks for your help and OC yes the JTR forum unfortunately I hit a brick wall with the certificated if the event was in the last 50 years you need to have the exact date to purchase them and any records online only give the year and quater registered so I drew a blank there but I keep looking when my dad died five years ago I didn't even know her married name so I have come a long way since then.I think it is sad that a family member died in such tragic circumstances and no one in the family even remembers the details I also feel that as she was born in Birmingham and died in Wales she was a long way from home and must have been very lonely because although in the link Edna just sent me her husband states there was never any trouble between Ruby and me I can't help but think you don't go from being loving husband and father one day to cold blooded killer the next
          Thanks Julie

Comment

Just wondered if you had tried to trace the Maternal grandmothers family tree to see if there are any living family members with a tree on line, or if Ruby has sisters or brothers living, perhaps we could check trees on Ancestry and Genes Reunited.

Edna

Comment

You might have more luck with the certs if you apply to the local Registrar. They aren't quite so strict about the 50 year rule. And the GRO seem to have different policies on differrent days as there are many people who have managed to get certs without knowing exact dates in the last 50 years.

OC

Comment

Sorry the son was living with Paternal Grandparents not Maternal just looked back at the newspaper report.

Edna

Comment

THanks Edna how do i go about that.OC yes I have looked at Rubys family she seems to have a sister who married and had children I have found links to other trees on genes reunited and have contacted them but have had no response .I don't use ancestry.
                  Julie

Comment

Rubys mum seems to have died well before the murder and her dad died the following year which would explain why the boy went straight to his paternal grandparents
                    Julie

Comment

I just found a Ruby Cummings listed on a tree on Genes Reunited born 1928 Birmingham, tree owner Lawrence

Too early for her birth cert but found her marriage cert ref numbers in 1952 Bridgend March quarter 8b 195

Edna
                      Last edited by clematised; 21-01-14, 22:21.

Comment

Do you have Ruby's death Cert Ruby M Carter 33 Jun qtr 1960 Bridgend 8b 51

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                          I just found a Ruby Cummings listed on a tree on Genes Reunited born 1928 Birmingham, tree owner Lawrence

Too early for her birth cert but found her marriage cert ref numbers in 1952 Bridgend March quarter 8b 195

Edna

My mistake not too early for birth reg Ruby M Cummings March qtr 1928 Birmingham N, 6d 785 Mothers maiden name Hammond

perhaps tomorrow you may get more help when people are here on the Forum

Edna
                          Last edited by clematised; 21-01-14, 22:40.

Comment

The case papers are listed in the catalogue of The National Archives (ref DPP 2/3057) - but are closed under the 75 year rule until 2036. You could make an application for them to review that closure under the Freedom of Information Act (there is a link on the catalogue page to do that). I have done this twice for clients and both times the file ,or at least most of it, have been opened.
                            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by Julie Blake View Post
                              THanks Edna how do i go about that.OC yes I have looked at Rubys family she seems to have a sister who married and had children I have found links to other trees on genes reunited and have contacted them but have had no response .I don't use ancestry.
                              Julie
                              If you want to send me the details of the people you have found (by Private Message) I can see if they are showing on current electoral rolls which will give their street address so you could write to them rather than rely on contact through websites that they possibly never go on now so won't see your message.

Margaret

Comment

Wow what a helpful lot you are on this forum .Edna the tree you speak of is mine ,Lawrence is my husband. I have both Rubys marriage certificate and her death certificate.Anthony I have already tried to go down that route but after about six months deliberating about it they decided they could not open the files.Margaret That is a good idea I have found an address which I believe could be the son but I am reluctant to contact him due to the trauma he has suffered but perhaps one of Rubys nephews or neices who are not as personally involved might be a line to follow.Oh and Edna that is right her mothers maiden name was Hammond.
                                Thanks again Julie

Comment

Julie I have sent you a private message.

sunny r

Comment

JUst a quick update I followed Ednas suggestion of trying to see if rubys siblings had any living relatives I could contact well I have tracked somedown on facebook and found out Rubys sister is still alive I have been speaking to her grandchildren on facebook this morning they knew nothing of the family murder but are fascinated one of them phoned her nan this morning who has confirmed she had a sister who was murdered.I am so very excited about this thank you all

Comment

Oh, that's great news. Hopefully you can be put in touch with the son too at some point.
                                      Margaret

Comment

Just catching up after a very long day, so pleased for you Julie

Edna

Comment

Working...
                                        X