Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signature comparisons please

William Henry Brown.JPGWilliam Brown M.JPGWilliam Brown Please

Difficult Val. I would expect William to sign with a Henry or an H. Also it's Willam Henry not William.
    However I think they are pretty similar. The Willam Henry looks a more mature signature - How many years between making the signatures.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

The Ws don't look the same to me. Neither do the Bs. The first signature looks much neater and looks (to me) more like Willam than William. However,our handwriting does change over time.

Comment

thanks for looking one is in 1882 the other in 1901

Comment

I would say they have been written by different people. The leading flourish on the 'W' in the first one stays high, whereas in the second one it swoops down to the line. The 'B' in the first one is quite plain, whereas the second one has a similar leading flourish to the 'W'.

However it could be possible that his writing changed if these two are a fair time apart.
          Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
          Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

Although I can see similarities, I'd say the differences are too great to be conclusive. William Henry is also recorded on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 with his middle name or initial, so would he have missed it off on his marriage cert in 1882 ?
            Rick

Comment

thanks Pete and Rick I am going to go through all the records AGAIN ugh

Comment

Assuming they are from original church registers, and not copies by the registrar, then I agree with Pete and the reasons in #5 - unlikely to be the same person. Victorians all tended to be taught to write in Copperplate, so can be frustratingly similar in their handwriting.
                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

thanks for your input everybody, back to the drawing board.

Comment

Working...
                  X