seriously confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seriously confused

james westwick (b.1786) married anne sweeting (b.1784) 6 aug 1809, stokesley yorks. must be a license, as the ages are on familysearch.

james westwick ch.3 dec 1815, stokesley, son of james and anne.
    john westwick ch.9 apr 1822, upleatham, yorks. son of james and anne.

now a bunch of trees on ancestry claim 'james balance westwick' b.1815 stokesley and 'john william westwick' b.1822 upleatham emmigrated to america. i have not found evidence of middle names. they say james married eliza atwell in 1850 missouri, and john had married in england to mary emmerson (1845 dewsbury reg district). they had come with their mother nancy sweeting, who died not long after arriving in galena, illinois. the trees also quote a biography of the brothers, which states their grandfather was william westwick, who died quite aged, and was of cumberland county and a game keeper.

i believe my ancestor william westwick is the one they mention. he married elizabeth crake in whitehaven in 1779. he had a son william in 1780 in berwick on tweed, the record mentioning he was in the durham militia. he had my ancestor jonathan in 1783 at barnard castle in durham. he was a game keeper for the earl of zetland, and died in 1836, buried at upleatham.

but then i have this:

james westwick married anne kemplay 27 feb 1843, st mary, castlegate york.
    son of james westwick. dau of james bollans.

children: james b.1843, george b.1846. and anne's child john laycock westwick in 1851.

1851 census: castle mills, st mary castlegate, york.
    ann westwick- 36, b.1815 looks like scarbro. head, char woman. widow.
    helen -10, b.1841 easingwold. scholar. dau.
    james- 6, b.1843, easingwold. scholar, son.
    john- 2, b.1849, york. son.

1841- castle mills, st mary castlegate, york.
    henry kemplay 30, b.1811, yorkshire. full wright.
    anne- 20, b.1821, yorkshire.
    james westwick- 25, b.1816, yorkshire. millwright.

i can't see a death for the james westwick of york, but it is obviously his family in the christenings there and the census. though helen must be anne's from her previous marriage, i can't see a christening for that to confirm. the trees have these census linked to him, and i wonder if he is the one b.1815 stokesley? maybe he left his first wife anne, and remarried in missouri? or maybe the americans are wrong about his census details?

now for john westwick, b.1822 upleatham. he appears in the 1851 census, b.upleatham. with wife mary and mother anne, b.1784 stokesley. this is the other half of my confusion. i had this john down as mine, b.1820 upleatham, son of jonathan westwick, game keeper and anne hunter. my john married eleanor bryan in stockton 1865, and died 1887 middlesbrough. i can't locate mine before 1865, and the other one goes missing after 1851. so i had it all tied in a neat little bow, but now i know that one went to america. but where is mine?

to top it off, there is a james sweeting westwick b.1844 easingwold, d.1881 york. he was the son of jonathan sweeting westwick and anne. poss brown, there is a jonathan westwick, anne brown marriage in 1835 at willerby by scarbro. i can't locate this james in the 1851 census, the only one born easingwold is the one mentioned above, son of james and anne. his father's middle name of sweeting would imply he is also a descendant of james westwick and anne sweeting, and i had wondered if he was their son john b.1822 upleatham.

ugh so confusing. any help is much appreciated.

Are you saying first of all that james westwick (b.1786) is the brother of Jonathon b 1783 and William b 1780 ie all three are children of William and Elizabeth?
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I'm confused too! Jonathan ch. 26 oct 1783 - parents William Westwick and Eleanor not Elizabeth.
      Kat

Comment

Best to work backwards. Starting with John b 1821/22 b Upleatham / Guisborough.
        1871 with Eleanor -wife

1881 with Eleanor -wife

was this the 1851 census you thought might be him with 1st wife Mary?

John Westwick 29
        Mary Westwick 24
        William Westwick 5
        Ann Westwick 66
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 18-01-14, 09:52.
        Kat

Comment

John Westwick
          Marriage
          Teesdale, Durham, England
          Page: 355
          Volume: 24
          Affiliate Line Number: 137
          Registration Quarter: 4
          John Westwick probably married one of the following people
          Name: Mary Clarkson *****
          Name: Mary Dalkin ****
          Name: Ann Hind
          Name: William Moses
          Name: Richard Thompson
          Name: Thomas Walker
          Name: Margaret Westwick
          Kat

Comment

even after reading through that a third time, i read it as eleanor crake, not elizabeth. the correct name is eleanor crake. the marriage license is on ancestry, in the lancashire marriages believe it or not.

yes william b.1780 and jonathan b.1783 are brothers. it would also appear that james b.1786 is also their brother, but that only comes from the biography of james' sons. i never could find evidence of james' birth.

yes those census for john westwick are correct. except the 1851 census is james' son, as the mother is anne b.1784 stokesley, whereas jonathan's son is the later census, and his mother was anne b.1786 guisborough.

Comment

On 1871 and 1881 John's occ is a servant. On the 1851 census he is a engineer? machine. So unlikely to be same person unless of course he had to take a lighter job in later life for whatever reason. Wish I could find him on 1861 census.

Sorry took a long time posting that LOL -crossed posted - ignore
              Last edited by Katarzyna; 18-01-14, 11:37.
              Kat

Comment

OK so this is John with parents in Maske 1841?
                Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

On John's marriage cert is he Bachelor or widowed? He was 43 when he married Eleanor.
                Kat

Comment

He is absent for 51 and 61 so is it possible he went to America and then returned here before his marriage to Eleanor in 1865?

What does the biography say about their deaths?
                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 18-01-14, 11:52.
                  Kat

Comment

Have found the biography. Hmmm a difficult one.
                    For those interested.

It's quite possible that THEY have the wrong John Westwick!
                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 18-01-14, 12:09.
                    Kat

Comment

it all just does my head in. i suspect james married anne in york, then left her and went to the states. he apparently went there in 1850, and anne had a baby the following year and claimed to widowed. though i can't see a death.

then john married mary, and went to the states in 1852 according to the americans. i have no idea where their cousin john was prior to 1865....he is an uncle, so i havn't got his marriage yet. but he is rather late to be getting married.

and i have no idea if the americans have linked their family to mine correctly. don't help with all these james' and john's lol

Comment

Working...
                      X