Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Address search 1911 census Ancestry

Hi

I have a subscription for Ancestry and wondered whether it was possible to do an address search on 1911 census on Ancestry. I can't see how to do this can anyone help please?

Thank you

Originally posted by Gill D View Post
    Hi

I have a subscription for Ancestry and wondered whether it was possible to do an address search on 1911 census on Ancestry. I can't see how to do this can anyone help please?

Thank you
    I don't think you can do it easily but have a look at this page http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2352 where you can put in locations at the side panel where it says Browse . It is easier on Findmypast where you can put in the street etc. but even then it's not always helpful as the streets and roads might be written differently eg RD instead of Rood and ST instead of Street.

Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 17-01-14, 09:09.

Comment

You can search the summary books by address:

The problem is, the results will only show something like Mr. Smith with 2 adults and 3 children in household. When you click on "view record" you will get registration district, piece, ED district etc. and if you look at the image it will give you an idea of neighbours, which if they have more uncommon names then you can do a name search using their details and work back or forth through the pages.
      Elaine

Comment

Looking at that more thoroughly all you get is the resulting enumeration district which would then entail scrolling through all the pages to find the street you were looking for.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
          Looking at that more thoroughly all you get is the resulting enumeration district which would then entail scrolling through all the pages to find the street you were looking for.

Margaret
          Using that link, if I enter 27 Marylands Road in the Street Address box, I get 4 results
          Collop Mr 1 1 27 Marylands Road Paddington, London
          Godbee Mr 1 2 27 Marylands Road Paddington, London
          Taylor Mrs 3 27 Marylands Road Paddington, London
          Wareham Miss 2 27 Marylands Road Paddington, London

Although I am trying to find Miss Wareham, because Collop is a more unusual name I would then search the 1911 census for a Collop living in Paddington registration district.
          Only two come up, both living at the same address.

Alternatively, look at the image you get from the summary books and choose a neighbour with an unusual name and do a search for him/her. You may only end up a couple of pages away from the one you are looking for, and as the 1911 images contain the address it's normally easy to find.

It's not ideal, and obviously not as easy as it is on FMP, but for those who only have an Ancestry sub it's a work around!
          Elaine

Comment

... lol .. and what I haven't noticed before is that the general search box for the 1911 census has a "postal address" box - so you could just enter
            Paddington as the registration district and Marylands Road as the postal address.
            It doesn't seem to accept house numbers, so if it's a long road you will get them all - but used in conjunction with the summary books should help you find what you are looking for.

(I use the "old search" method - not sure if "postal address" box shows up if you are using the "new search").
            Elaine

Comment

Thank you for the advice and have followed the suggested searches. Unfortunately it didn't get me anywhere and the people I thought would be at the house weren't but it was fun trying! Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X