Fred Bennett Band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Bennett Band

My grandfather was a talented musician but I guess like most working class people this was more of a hobby than a job. He used to play in various venues around the Chesterfield, Derbyshire area. Mostly he played in his own local villages of Dronfield, Dronfield Woodhouse, Holmesfield etc.

What I would like to know, is there a chance of any record of where he may have played. I understand this is a bit of a long shot, but i need to try.

Stella
    Stellanne x

Researching: Bennetts (Derbyshire), Parkinson (Durham, Yorkshire)

Have you tried googing the name (in inverted commas to force the search to look for the whole phrase)? Or trying the newspaper archives (e.g. FMP, or through your local library membership, perhaps).

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

FMP looks as if it might have some references to what you're after. Glos (1938) and, possibly, N Devon (1892) and Cornwall (1901) papers pick up the name. I suspect it's the Glos ones you'd be after?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

On reflection - I rather suspect that it was a Fred Bennett local to Twyning, rather than one in Derbyshire.

Christine

Comment

Thanks, I will give the newspapers in the library a go. Thanks for the pointer x x Stella x
          Stellanne x

Comment

I have found that local town archives are best for this sort of thing, also local newspapers.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Stellanne View Post
              My grandfather was a talented musician but I guess like most working class people this was more of a hobby than a job. He used to play in various venues around the Chesterfield, Derbyshire area. Mostly he played in his own local villages of Dronfield, Dronfield Woodhouse, Holmesfield etc.

What I would like to know, is there a chance of any record of where he may have played. I understand this is a bit of a long shot, but i need to try.

Stella
              maybe a local historian might be able to help Stella? or I would think that the library near to where he lived [if it is a local studies library] might be able to help

OR you could try contacting Derbyshire Record Office at Matlock and see if they have any records on Fred..

be interesting to see if you do find anything.. good luck!
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I think I will try Matlock Julia.... I guess it is a case of knowing he did have a talent for music and this was shared by the local community. I would like to try and sort this as Fred is my Uncles dad and he is 93 and not in great health. Uncle Roy only told me this on Thursday so I feel I need to investigate.. Stella x
                Stellanne x

Comment

Local Radio Stations may be able to help you if you can get a message to them they may ask on one of their programs if you send them some details.
                  Someone may remember him or have been a part of the music scene at the time

Edna

Comment

There are some references in the Derby Daily Telegraph to "Birmingham born baritone Fred Bennett". Unlikely to be the Fred Bennett you're after, but a complicating factor as he seemed to be performing in/around Derby in the 1920s.

What period are we talking about for your grandfather?

STG

PS : Good idea from Edna about local radio!
                    Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 17-01-14, 20:43. Reason: Add PS
                    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

I have spoken to a friend who is sometimes on Radio Sheffield and here is her reply

Edna I haven't heard of that band but I am sure if she gets in touch with Radio Sheffield they will put something out over the air. I have just been having a look around and there is a site called extinct brass bands that may have some info for her. It seems Fred was in the Unstone Brass band amongst others.

Unquote

Hope this gives you a lead

Edna

Comment

http://www.ibew.org.uk/misc23.htm Extinct brass bands

http://www.ibew.org.uk/link01.htm A to Z of Brass bands one for the WIKKI please Mods

Edna

Comment

Wow thanks this is all great research material, I will certainly have a look at all options. He would have been playing through the 1920s-30s, 40s..... I don't know when he stopped. I will ask uncle Roy. It was a 'dance band'. Unstone is the next village on so would be appropriate he played there. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks x x x Stella x
                          Stellanne x

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                            http://www.ibew.org.uk/misc23.htm Extinct brass bands

http://www.ibew.org.uk/link01.htm A to Z of Brass bands one for the WIKKI please Mods

Edna
                            Thank you .. already there, in the Reference Library, on our Theatre and Entertainments page.

I nearly missed this suggested link ... in future please could you find a relevant page in the Reference Library and add it in the Comments box which virtually every page has. That way we won't miss any gems which members come across. It also alerts other members to a new link in the Library. Thanks.
                            Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                            X