I might build a Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I might build a Church

Oh wait it's been done hasn't it? Mum knows the story of a Phillips building a Church but nothing more.
    We've just got back from visiting her Brother who gave more information.

Apparently I need to look for the following: Canada, Methodist Church, Lancelot Phillips.

I don't have a Lancelot let alone a religious man so I was wondering if there's anyone who can help me figure out the myth.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Hi There,

I am out for the restof the day,so can't help too much today.

From ancestry.ca

There is a Lancelot Melville Rowland Phillips b. 1891 ish in South Wales. He also appears to have died in the UK. He enlisted in the Grenadiers in WW1.

I have found him on 3 passenger lists coming back to Canada from the UK. He is a farmer, living in Kindersley, Saskatchewan, married to Elsie, and a C of E.

On one of the arrival cards , it has nearest relative - Mrs Evans of 84 Sutherland Gardens, Maida Vale, and it may be his mother ? Writing a bit blotchy.

If this is him, I will try to follow through on him tomorrow.

bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Sorry for not replying bcbrit but I've only just spotted the reply, I would honestly love any help that people can provide

Comment

Okay - I have not been able to find Lancelot Phillips in any Canadian census.

However there is this fellow to and froing from Canada and England. Do any of these names sound familiar ?

Lancelot Melville R Phillips
        b. Dec Q 1893
        Narbech, Pembrokeshire 11a - 1066

Lancelot M R Phillips
        b. 1894
        d. Sept Q 1958
        Westminster London 5c - 328

WW1 Pension Records - at least six pages on him

Lancelot Melville Rowland Phillips
        Regt # 16953 Grenadier Guards
        Wife Mabel Hnnah Rees
        Mother May Winifred Evans
        Discharged 16 Jan 1916 due to rhumatism
        Born 1894 Kefig, Carmathenshire

Canada Passenger Lists 1865 - 1935

Lancelot MR Phillips
        Returning Canadian
        Farmer. Kindersley, Saskatchewan
        Single, b about 1891 Wales
        Arriving 27 April 1913

Can Passenger Lists

Lancelot Phillips
        Married, farmer in Saskatchewan
        Born 1894 Wales
        Arriving 15 April 1921

Canada Ocean Arrival 1919 -1924

Lancelot Melville Phillips
        b. 1894 Sutherland, South Wales
        married and accompanied by wife Elsie Phillips
        Farmer, Saskatchewan
        Arrived in Canada 1896
        Nearest relative Mrs Evans,84 Sutherland Gardens Maida Vale, London

There two Lancelots Phillips on the UK Incoming Lists, but I am not sure if they are the right one.

bcbrit
        George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

It is quite possible that he may have built a church. Over here houses etc are built of wood. Back then in small communities everyone pitched in to build sheds, churches, houses etc.

Don't foget if there was only one church in town, then that was the church you went to. So there may have a strong Methodist faction, and despite being Cof E, more than likely he would have attended that church.

My husband's grandmother would play the piano for the Presbyterian services, and then cross the road to play for the Catholic services. She always put down that she was Wesleylian !

bcbrit

Comment

If that is the right Lancelot, it seems he filed for bankruptcy in 1922:

No. 439. PHILLIPS, Lancelot Melville Rowland,
            2, York-mansions., East-street, Baker-street,
            London. ACTOR.
            Court—HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE.
            Date of Filing Petition—Feb. 6, 1922.
            No. of Matter—190 of 1922.
            Date of Receiving Order—Feb. 6, 1922.
            No. of Receiving Order—84.
            Whether Debtor's or Creditor's Petition—Debtor's.

Comment

His mother had remarried:
              There is a marriage for Evan Evans to May Winifred Phillips
              Narberth June 1894 11a 1437
              (Narberth spans the boundaries of the counties of Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire)

May Winifred Rowland married John Roberts Phillips or Thomas Phillips Narberth 11a 1565 Jun 1892

Deaths:
              John Phillips age 33 - Dec 1892 Narberth 11a 594
              John Phillips age 26 - Mar 1893 Narberth 11a 657

No death for a Thomas in that time period ecept one age 4.

So does ROWLAND ring any bells?
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

To be honest the only names that I do have in my tree are John Robert & Thomas:

There's 8 Thomas and one of them does have a birth place of America U. States Brit according to a Census or 2, he has a birth year of 1895. His parents are Robert Phillips & Annie Dawson and he's what we call the other side as the top people on the tree are Robert Phillips & Mary Wray, they had 6 children. We are the descendants of one son and the other side are the descendants of another.

There's only 1 John Robert Phillips born in 1907, Stockton-On-Tees and his parents are Robert Phillips & Eliza Jane Pygall.

I just wish we were given an estimated year as it would have made things a lot easier.

The only places I have as births for my Phillips are Stockton-On-Tees, Bishop Auckland, America U. States Brit, Paddington, Summerson's Buildings in Seaham Harbour, Great Aycliff, Bishop Middleham, Rochester, Middlesbrough, Durham and Great Stainton.

Comment

Update: I think I may know who the family are talking about now, Lancelot Chapman. The extremely distant Grandfather of one Albert Phillips.

I hope at least.

Comment

Working...
                  X