A mystery if anyone fancies a go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A mystery if anyone fancies a go

Richard Hassell born 14 Aug 1806 in Bermondsey, baptised 17 Sep 1806 St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey

1841 HO107 Piece 1058 Book 3 Folio 11 Page 16

Richard Hassell-34-Stone Mason-
    Jane Hassell-28-Dressmaker-
    Richard Hassell-9--
    George Hassell-6--
    Eliza Hassell-4--
    Elizabeth Hassell-8 mths--

1851 HO107 Piece 1572 Folio 115 Page 7 & 8

Richard Hassell-Head-Mar-44-Stone Mason-Bermondsey, Surrey, England
    Jane Hassell-Wife-Mar-38-Dress Maker-Chatham, Kent, England
    Richard Hassell-Son-Unm-19-Stone Mason-Reigate, Surrey, England
    Eliza Hassell-Dau-Unm-13-Scholar-Westminster, Middlesex, England
    Elizabeth Hassell-Dau-Unm-10-Scholar-Westminster, Middlesex, England
    Henry Hassell-Son-Unm-2--Lambeth, Surrey, England

Q3 1853 Deaths Lambeth 1d 205 Richard Hassell
    Sep 4th 1853 Burial St Mary Lambeth

1861 RG9 Piece 355 Folio 116 Page 18

Jane Wood-Wife-Mar-48-Collar Maker-Chatham, Kent, England
    Richard Hassell-Son-Unm-29-Slotter?-Reigate, Surrey, England
    Elizabeth Hassell-Dau-Unm-20-Collar Maker-Lambeth, Surrey, England
    Henry Hassell-Son-Unm-10-Scholar-Lambeth, Surrey, England
    Edwin Hassell-Son-Unm-9-Scholar-Lambeth, Surrey, England

Is this the right family in 1861? If it is, why is Jane married, and why is she Wood? I can't find the marriage for Richard and Jane so don't know her maiden name (and can't afford to order a birth cert for one of the children), and I can't find Jane re-marrying after Richard's death. If Jane has re-married, where is her husband?

Any ideas?
    Last edited by PeteW1959; 16-01-14, 10:09.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Certainly looks like the same family. No idea why Jane became Wood but it seems she was back to being Hassell in 1871.
    11 Catherine St Lambeth
    Jane Hassell Head widow Head 56 needlewoman
    Richard Hassell son 38 labourer (gas works)
    Edward Hassell son 18 labourer (candle factory)
    though all birthplaces are listed as Lambeth
    RG10 piece 668 folio 15 page 26
    Last edited by JudithM; 16-01-14, 10:38.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

and she was still at 11 Catherine St in 1881
      Jane Hassell head W 66 G.... (?) collar maker Kent Chatham
      Emma Lawson servant unm 15 servant domestic Surrey Lambeth
      RG11 piece 598 folio 117 page 21
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

There is a possible marriage in 1858, but only 3 people named in the transcription on FreeBMD

Marriages Dec 1859
        Hassell Jane
        Jones Mary Ann Jane
        Wood Thomas
        Chelsea vol. 1a, page 257

Jane gives her place of birth as Chatham. Might be worth searching the parish registers on CityArk to see if you can find a marriage c1830. There are some registers on there for St. Mary the Virgin, Chatham. They are not indexed so it means a long trawl but might be worth it in the end!

Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by stevefraseruk View Post
          Just found this, not what you are after but looks like may be same Richard Hassell

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=1
          I think that is a different Richard Hassell - possibly refers to this one who died in 1852
          Elaine

Comment

Thomas WOOD and Jane LASSELL marriage 1859: [her MN was it Fairclough?]

Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

baptism of Jane Faircloth with father Matthew: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=2
              Julie

Comment

Good find Julie!
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Good find Julie!
                  ta, struggling to find a Fairclough/Hassell marriage though!
                  Julie

Comment

Thanks for your input folks. Sorry for the delay; been to a hospital appointment.

I'm not sure about the Chelsea marriage. It does seem to fit, but there are a few things that make me sceptical.

Firstly Chelsea isn't really the right area; Richard and Jane's first child was born in Reigate, the next two in Westminster, but after that everything else is in Lambeth, including where Jane is in 1881.

Secondly I am not sure that the certificate actually says Hassell. The last 4 letters are 'sell', but the 3rd doesn't really look like an 's'; it is certainly very different to the other 's'.

Thirdly Jane is back to being Hassell in 1881.

However it does seem to tie in to the BMD index, and with the baptism of Jane Fairclough in Chatham it adds more fuel to the fire.

I will look through the Chatham registers, but I am more inclined towards an East End marriage as that is where Richard was born and where they ended up living. There is no other connection to Kent anywhere else in the immediate family, and Richard as stonemason wouldn't have need to go as far as Chatham for work.
                    Last edited by PeteW1959; 16-01-14, 14:08.
                    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post

Secondly I am not sure that the certificate actually says Hassell. The last 4 letters are 'sell', but the 3rd doesn't really look like an 's'; it is certainly very different to the other 's'.
                      I think it has been written in old style, using a long 'f' to replace the double 's'
                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post

if you compare it with 'Assistant' which is the occupation of the groom bottom right, you will see it looks like Afsitant, I can't remember what the term is but I do know that the 's' can sometimes in old documents look like an 'F'
                        Julie

Comment

snap Elaine!
                          Julie

Comment

Richard Williams bapt 1832: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...v=1&ml_rpos=11

no clues there then!
                            Julie

Comment

do you have the baptisms of the other children Pete?
                              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                if you compare it with 'Assistant' which is the occupation of the groom bottom right, you will see it looks like Afsitant, I can't remember what the term is but I do know that the 's' can sometimes in old documents look like an 'F'
                                Yes, I definitely agree with Julie, Pete. Back then a double 'S' was commonly written using the 'long s' which looks like 'f'. Google "long 's'"

Comment

Point taken about the 'long s', but there is still the question of why Chelsea, and why does she revert to Hassell in 1881?

I don't have any of the baptisms; I think the last time I looked there were far fewer parish records available; I certainly didn't find Richard jr. which you have just found Julie.
                                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

Just looked and found Henry Edward and Elizabeth baptisms
                                    Devine in Ireland

Comment

George James' bapt: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=4
                                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                                      X