Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8

Can anyone tell me where to find "my computer" or equivalent on Windows 8? I want to download something from my external hard drive, but I can't find how to do it.

I might sound calm, but I am very close to jumping on this bleep-bleep-bleep machine. Whoever invented Windows 8 needs a kick up the rear.

Click on the arrow bottom left of the windows page to find apps then scoot along bottom to far right where you will find "this computer". I think it's 2nd. down in last column. I'm sure a computer buff will tell you of an easier way but this is what I do. I also hate windows 8.
    Cath.

Comment

Alternatively, click on the white windows symbol and select Desktop ... then you will see the File Explorer on the bottom left. This is like the old Windows Explorer.

I like W8. I generally have it on Desktop then go to the W8 bit to find the applications I need.

Make sure that you have updated to W8.1 .
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I knew there was an easier way but couldn't remember it! Thanks Caroline, if I remember, that's the way I'll do it in future.
        Cath.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

Make sure that you have updated to W8.1 .
          When I was in the UK at Christmas, my daughter bought a new Windows 8 laptop. After the initial problems we had just finding out where everything was, and getting used to the touch screen, I must say I liked the feel of it.
          Knowing absolutely nothing about Windows 8, what are the benefits to upgrading to 8.1 ?
          Elaine

Comment

Found it! Thank you so much ladies. Yes, every one has told me to update to 8.1. I will do so asap.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              When I was in the UK at Christmas, my daughter bought a new Windows 8 laptop. After the initial problems we had just finding out where everything was, and getting used to the touch screen, I must say I liked the feel of it.
              Knowing absolutely nothing about Windows 8, what are the benefits to upgrading to 8.1 ?
              For me, it speeded everything up a lot. I had been very disappointed as my brand new replacement laptop was so much slower than the other, with a similar spec. It did some other important things under the bonnet, but I don't remember what they were now as I was able to update almost immediately.

Here: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1244...let-can-do-now
              Caroline
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

.. but the look and feel of the desktop with the large tiled icons / touch screen are still the same on 8.1 ?
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  .. but the look and feel of the desktop with the large tiled icons / touch screen are still the same on 8.1 ?
                  Yes. You can make the tiles even smaller than you could before.
                  Caroline

Comment

Thanks Caroline. Will pass the message on to daughter!
                    Elaine

Comment

For those who can't get on with the Windows 8 interface (me included) there are a number of free utilities that give you back the look/feel of Windows 7.

I use this one, but there are quite a few others.

Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I like Windows 8 and I have decided not to upgrade. After discussing with my s i l I think the reason I like it is just to do with the way I personally use the computer.

I have "hidden" nearly all the tiles on the start screen and reorganised those I use. Mostly I work from the Desktop which is little different to Win 7. The most useful thing I find is if I have loads of windows open and want to launch another program I can just press the Windows key and do one click on the appropriate tile and its open. Seems a lot easier than Win XP that I had before. Plus .... My computer is ten times faster!!! (I don't have a touch screen)
                        Anne

Comment

Working...
                        X