WW1 information.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 information.

Hello all, I've been investigating my great grandfathers military service in WW1 and was just wanted to know if anybody could point me in the right direction.

My great grandfather was called Clarence Edward Barker born 26/04/1892 in Northallerton, Yorkshire. He enlisted in York on the 01/12/1910 and served with the 18th Hussars, 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment for 8 years 122 days until his honourable discharge on 01/04/1919.

I have been told by family members that he received a "military medal" (quite a high honour for bravery) for non commissioned ranks. My question is how would I confirm this? apparently there was a news article about him receiving this award presumably in a local paper near Northallerton? It would be lovely to be able to confirm this!

Thanks in advance.

If you have an Ancestry subscription this is his medal card:-

I don't understand all of the markings on the card, but alongside the usual 3 (Victory, British and Star), there is other information:-

There is (MM.) next to his name (Military Medal perhaps), an entry with a date under the usual 3 medals of Jan 1938 with a reference NW/1/43184 and another entry S.W.B. list CY/814

Perhaps a military expert can explain these.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply, I've got a copy of the medal card from ancestry and I too struggled with the markings, I did see the MM too but it seemed in a funny place to me.

BritishArmyWWIMedalRollsIndexCards1914-1920ForBarkerClarenceE.jpg

Comment

The reference numbers you asked about refer to the entry in the actual Medal Rolls ( the cards on Ancestry are just an index). The Rolls themselves list the medals awarded and can be consulted at the National Archives at Kew. They won't give any reason/citation for the award but they will usually confirm the battalion/unit he was in which will then allow you to consult the appropriate War Diary which might just have information in it.

The reference to SWB is to a Silver War Badge usually issued to men returning home with wounds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_War_Badge).

The Silver War Badge records are on Ancestry and confirm he was discharged on 1/4/19 under Para 392 (XVIa) of Kings Regs which means he was deemed unfit for further service.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
          consult the appropriate War Diary which might just have information in it.
          The war diary for the 18th (Queen Mary's Own) Hussars can be downloaded from the NA for GBP3.36 - here -

Comment

Hi John

Ref. 6450 Sergeant Clarence Edward Barker M.M.
            He is my 2nd cousin once removed on my mother's side, she was Clara Barker.
            Military Medal confirmation
            Ribbon awarded at Vieil Hesdin 11 Oct 1916; from 18th Hussars War Diary
            London Gazette 11th October 1916 page 9828.
            Silver War Badge B269214 on 18 Aug 1919;
            Died Friarage Hospital Northallerton 27 Apr 1962
            Buried St Gregory Anglican Church Bedale 30 April 1962

if you have membership of genes Reunited I have downloaded my tree there.
            Regards

Comment

Working...
            X