Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with John Mitchell - please

Help with John Mitchell

John Mitchell born c1792 was my 3x great grandfather and a bit of a problem! He shows on the 1841 census as being born in Somerset but dies in 1846 aged 54 in Kilmersdon, Somerset (souce freereg burial record). On the 1841 census his age was given as 40. However, I suspect that this was a rounded value. He married, I think, Ann Pike in East Pennard 1 Mar 1813. This further makes me think that his year of birth was closer to 1792. I have tried and tried to find a possible baptism for John but to no avail. There was one possible baptism which I have discounted in Frome 26 July 1794. I discounted this baptism because I think this John is still alive and on the census in 1871 place of birth given as Woodlands, which if correct, is where his parents William and Elizabeth died -Source freereg. There are other John Mitchell’s born c1792 but which one is my John?

If I only break down one brick wall this year I would like it to be this one I can’t begin to tell you how many times I have tried to find out who John's Parents were. If any one has any ideas or inspiration as to how I might move this investigation forward I will welcome them willingly.

This is the link for the 1841 census -http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=1&gsfn=john&gsln=mitchell&f1= Somerset&f2=&f3=&f18=&rg_81004011__date=1794&rs_81 004011__date=10&_82004011=&_82004013=somerset&f7=& f20=&f8=&f9=&gskw=&prox=1&db=uki1841&ti=5538&ti.si =0&gss=angs-d&pcat=35&fh=6&h=13465242&recoff=6+7&ml_rpos=7

Sandra
    Last edited by Sherbertrose; 13-01-14, 11:13.

Sandra,

can you repost the 1841 link as that one doesn't want to play.. ta
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie,

Here you go hope this works -

Sandra

Comment

Fab thanks
        Julie

Comment

I think that the only way that you are going to sort this will be to list all the possibles and systematically work your way through them, possibly creating mini trees. not much help I know, but seems the only logical way to me.
          Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

Assuming that John was Baptised I might be able to rule out some of the possible Johns born c1792. My concern is that for what ever reason John was not baptised. I have this problem on another branch - Grace Chadwick born c1795 Pudsey leeds. I am as sure as I can be that there is baptism record for Grace.

Sandra

Comment

Working...
            X