Thank you for allowing me to join this great forum,
    Can anyone assist me in tracing my Gt. Gmother please,
    Louisa Evans born 1845 Tupsley hereford,
    The problem I have she married ? a Charles Tinkling 1860,
    I cannot find anything on this, and they had 4 children,
    Charles 1860
    Mary Diana 1865
    Two more not sure of names or dates,
    1881 census saw Louisa turn up in Tittersons Yard , Derby, Her name is now Johnson along with two children Charles and Mary Diana, how did she become Johnson ?
    So can anyone fill in the space between 1860 and 1881 please.

Thanks in advance

George in France

Hello George and welcome to FTF
    Can you tell us please where you found the information you have already i.e. certificates etc. What makes you think that she married, or lived with a Charles Tinkling? I can't find a birth for a Louisa Evans in Hereford in 1845. The closest match for Tupsley area is a Louisa Mary Eleanor Evans in Hereford in June 1851 ref 26 205.

For anyone trying to help - this is the 1881 that George is talking about I think -
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 12-01-14, 11:09.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I found this for the 1861 - Charles and Louisa Tinkling in Tupsley with son Abraham. Charles was born 1838 in Somerset.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/87...l=ReturnRecord

However as Chrissie says how do you know this is your Louisa?
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

There is also this in 1851 - Louisa age 6 with parents William and Mary in Tupsley - she matches the one in the 1861 I found - also has a brother called Abraham - maybe named her son after him. Having trouble finding any of these people im BMDs. Still not sure whether she is the Louisa in 1881.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/88...l=ReturnRecord
        Linda

Comment

Ah - here you go - Luesa Evans born Mar Q 1845, Hereford &c (which includes Tupsley) 26 172

And Abraham Charles Tinklin b Mar Q 1861 in Hereford 6a 438
          Last edited by ozgirl; 12-01-14, 11:36.
          Linda

Comment

I think that Louisa in 1851 is 16 isn't she Linda? That would make her birth about 1835, not 1845. It wouldn't fit the 1861 or the 1881.

Comment

Well spotted Linda That would also fir with Charles Tinklin birth I found in Bedminster . Probably the one in 1837 (there is also one in 1840).
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 12-01-14, 11:43.

Comment

Also Arathe Matilda Tinklin b Sep Q 1862 Hereford 6a 430

Mary D Tinklin b Mar Q 1866 Hereford 6a 478.

And the death of Charles Tinklin age 4 in Hereford Dec Q 1867 6a 305
                Linda

Comment

I think it might be better if we could work backwards and George tells us how far back he already has certificates for etc. As long as you don't give the names of any living people George.

Comment

Thank you so much for all the responses, My Grandmother told me that her Father and Grandmother all origibated from Tupsley Hereford,
                    1851 census for Tupsley Louisa was 6 years old with her family as said by Oz girl,
                    Abraham Charles born 1960/1 and Mary Diana 1866 was with Louisa now surname Johnson in 1881 census Derby
                    Not sure how or why they had a name change maybe Louisa was travelling with someone named Johnson or trying to hide the past, Very strange any ideas or advice is most welcome but I can find nothing of the family between 1861 and 1881,

open to suggestions

Kind regards

George

Comment

Have you got the birth and/or marriage certificate of your grandmother George? If not, it would be wise to get them to see the name of her parents etc. It's too much of a guess just to look for someone in Tupsley.

Comment

I am a bit confused as to the generations here. Is Abraham Charles your Great Grandfather and Louisa your Gt Gt Grandmother? If so do you have a marriage certificate or birth cert for Abraham?
                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

sorry skip the above
                          Edit:
                          I am a bit confused as to the generations here. Is Charles your Great Grandfather and Louisa your Gt Gt Grandmother? If so do you have a marriage certificate or birth cert for Charles?

Also as Chrissie says the certs of your Grandmother first. Without these it's impossible to keep guessing.
                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 12-01-14, 13:01.
                          Kat

Comment

In the 1871 census at The Inwales Of The Hereford Union Workhouse, Commercial Road, St Peter, Hereford there is an Abraham aged 9, Matilda 7 and Mary 5 all with surname Tinkling all paupers.
                            Piece 2700, Folio 54, Page 2

Can't see any parents

Comment

Thank you Katarzyna

Yes you are correct Abraham Charles Gt Gf and Louisa Gt GT Grandmother,
                              This is where it gets confusing, Abraham Charles also known as Charles Abraham 1881 Tittersons Yd Derby age 20
                              My Grandmother told me that he married her mother who was Mary Redfern and he married her under his mothers maiden name of Evans in Derby 1882, do not know why.
                              Not sure what happened to her mother she thought her mother had died, Abraham or Charles whatever he was known as then married an Emma Salt a widower. 1889 Derby. His surname then was back to Johnson. marriage certificate states his father as Charles Johnson (deceased) hopefully this is a little clearer and you can ubderstand my confusion but I am sure we have the right people in Louisa, Thank you all foor the time and trouble you are going to

Regards

George

Comment

Frazzled

LOL - Inwales = Inmates, I think.

If they were travelling people then they probably wouldn't bother with a civil marriage, they had their own marriage customs. The "change of name" isn't significant, it is just what they were all calling themselves at the time, presumably because she was with a Mr Johnson. The census enumerator would ask the surname of the head of the household and ASSUME everyone else was also called Johnson, unless someone told him otherwise.

OC

Comment

OC
                                  ;D Can't even blame the keyboard as w is miles away from m

Comment

George

The fact that he married as Evans points to him knowing his parents weren't married, I think. The later marriage as Johnson MIGHT indicate he was committing bigamy (what is his marital condition at his second marriage?) or it might indicate that Charles Tinklin was also known as Johnson........

OC

Comment

Thank you
                                      His maritual status is given as Widdower, I think you maybe right in your assumption Olde Krone Holden it makes sense,
                                      if only we could turn the clock back

Regards

George

Comment

Abraham Charles Evans to Mary Ann Redfearn
                                        Jul-Aug-Sep 1882
                                        Derby
                                        Volume Number: 7b
                                        Page Number: 815
                                        Kat

Comment

Working...
                                        X