Family tree maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family tree maker

I have and use regularly FTM on my laptop however I now have an iPad as well and wondered if there was anyway I could access the programme on my laptop possibly via iCloud. Am I thinking it is possible when it's not!!!!

thank you

Oooh iPad think that would need a mac version of FTM. Sorry don't know about using FTM on pads and tablets. I stick to my desktop for work on family history research and recording. Good luck - hope you find an answer to your question.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Thanks Linda. I was thinking of when out at archives/library it's easier to take iPad rather than laptop as most trips require a train journey,

Comment

You can use Ancestry on a ipod, know its not quite what you are asking, but it works very well (assume its similar to Android version) this is addy to get it https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ance...349554263?mt=8

Comment

Originally posted by Linda from Murton View Post
          Oooh iPad think that would need a mac version of FTM. Sorry don't know about using FTM on pads and tablets. I stick to my desktop for work on family history research and recording. Good luck - hope you find an answer to your question.
          There is a Mac version of FTM - I have a friend who uses it.

Otherwise all you need to do is load your tree onto Ancestry and link it to the one on your PC/whatever and use the tree on Ancestry to add stuff then it will sync with your tree on FTM when you next open it on the laptop. That is the best way of keeping the tree in sync when using different devices.

Margaret
          Last edited by margaretmarch; 12-01-14, 18:54.

Comment

It's worth remembering Mac software does not run on an iPad, the best place to check out programs which can be run on an iPad is the App Store.
            Jane
            Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
            "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

What I have done, is download Magicroots to my laptop then downloaded it to my ipad.....I am now hopeing that I can send a basic copy of my family tree maker to my magicroots on my ipad......so I will then have a basic copy of my ftm on my ipad...I will let you know how it goes.......I like you just would like to have a basic tree to hand if and when I am out and about......I don't know why but I just don't trust Ancestry...as my tree becames their property, or so they say....Magic roots is syning to my ipad from my laptop....so fingers crossed........Lilly
              Last edited by Lilly the flower; 13-01-14, 08:13. Reason: sp

Comment

Just looked on the Forum for an answer to my own Query and saw your request.
                But the answer is most definitely ‘yes’, I have FTM 2014 on my Windows 7 Desktop which is my main computer. I also now have an iPad and most definitely can view my Tree on that as well. Trying to think now how it was done, but basically…..
                First you would need to Upload and Link your Tree on the Ancestry web site. Note, you can control whether your online tree is able to be seen as a public member tree or privately shared among a few friends and family. If you don’t share it and exclude it from Ancestry Search Index, it will then be invisible to anyone who searches online.
                Then on your iPad, download the ‘Family Tree Maker App’ from the Apple Store, log into Ancestry, as you have just done to upload your Tree from your computer, and synchronise the Tree.
                So later as you add more information on your laptop, make sure you synchronise your tree by uploading to Ancestry, and then do the same on the iPad but synchronise.
                Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by Xenofex2 View Post
                  Just looked on the Forum for an answer to my own Query and saw your request.
                  But the answer is most definitely ‘yes’, I have FTM 2014 on my Windows 7 Desktop which is my main computer. I also now have an iPad and most definitely can view my Tree on that as well. Trying to think now how it was done, but basically…..
                  First you would need to Upload and Link your Tree on the Ancestry web site. Note, you can control whether your online tree is able to be seen as a public member tree or privately shared among a few friends and family. If you don’t share it and exclude it from Ancestry Search Index, it will then be invisible to anyone who searches online.
                  Then on your iPad, download the ‘Family Tree Maker App’ from the Apple Store, log into Ancestry, as you have just done to upload your Tree from your computer, and synchronise the Tree.
                  So later as you add more information on your laptop, make sure you synchronise your tree by uploading to Ancestry, and then do the same on the iPad but synchronise.
                  Hope that helps
                  As far as I understand it you can only synchronise to one FTM location so anything done on the Ipad FTM programme cannot synchronise to the tree on ancestry if you have alsready set the synchronise to the laptop. I find it's best to work on the website tree and then only synchronise to your main location ie laptop as and when you open the tree on that.

Margaret

Comment

Have you tried Heredis? Its a free App for iPad. You can email yourself a GEDCOM file and import it into the Heredis App. You can work in Heredis but I just use it as a viewer for trips to the Archive and showing family etc. Can't really be bothered getting to grips with synchronising stuff!
                    Anne
                    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 10-02-14, 13:34.

Comment

Working...
                    X