1921 Canada Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: 1921 Canada Census

if any has access to this set of records on ancestry, would be grateful if they could do a look up for a John Decarlo born about 1892, spouse Dorothy, place Nanaimo British Columbia.
    What especially interested in is his place of birth, if born out side country when arrived.

He is shown as being born in Italy about 1892 and his year of immigration is shown as 1904.
    Address is Gatarse Street, Ladysmith, Newcastle District,Nanaimo, BC.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Also in the household are wife Dorothy (born England about 1897 to English parents) who immigrated in 1918, daughter Dorothy (born England about 1918) and daughter Gladys (born about 1920 in British Columbia).
      John is shown to have both parents born in Italy. John's occupation is Shoemaker.

Not sure if you have John & Dorothy's marriage record.
      John Dicarlo (sp) of 1st Canadian Contingent married Dorothy Letitia Martyn (both of 11 Penton Place) on 14 July 1917 at the Parish Church of St Mary Newington, London. His father is shown as Bennardi (Bernardi?) Decarlo, a farmer, and her father is Edwin Charles Martyn (deceased). Dorothy signed but John left his mark.
      Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 11-01-14, 07:37.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

John is commemorated on the Naval Memorials register in Liverpool, England. His parents are shown as Bernardi and Maria De Carlo and his date of death is 28 December 1940 (aged 49). Husband of Dorothy Lettia De Carlo of Vancover, British Columbia, Canada.
        He is shown as Asst Cook on HMS Golden Eagle, service number 187564 (Naval Auxiliary Personnel), commemorated on Panel 13 Column 2.
        Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 11-01-14, 07:47.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post
          John is commemorated on the Naval Memorials register in Liverpool, England. His parents are shown as Bernardi and Maria De Carlo and his date of death is 28 December 1940 (aged 49). Husband of Dorothy Lettia De Carlo of Vancover, British Columbia, Canada.
          He is shown as Asst Cook on HMS Golden Eagle, service number 187564 (Naval Auxiliary Personnel), commemorated on Panel 13 Column 2.
          Thank you so much, you have made my day with this, I knew he had served through both wars, recently found a picture of his wedding to Dorothy and in it is my mum as a baby, your info pretty much is the missing piece for me, with that bit of my tree, again thank you

Comment

I don't know if you have further information about Dorothy but it looks like she died in California in 1982 - supported by the following, although maiden name is given as Martlyn on the first two:

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/s...rhSource=70500 and
            Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

There's also this record of her returning to Canada in Dec 1922 after a visit to England - returning to husband, address Ladysmith, Vancouver Island. Nearest relative in England is her mother of 11 Penton Place, Kennington, the address from which she married in 1917, as mentioned in one of the above posts.

There are also birth records and 1911 census records for her on ancestry. Let me know if you want the links to these too.
            Christine
            Last edited by Karamazov; 11-01-14, 10:58.
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thanks for offer but do have all, what is odd, is that on the marriage cirt Edwin her father is shown as deceased and he was very much alive, he joined the army during first world war though his age would have been advanced and it was a Scots regiment, Dorothy was one of my mums Aunts.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg13 View Post
                Thanks for offer but do have all, what is odd, is that on the marriage cirt Edwin her father is shown as deceased and he was very much alive, he joined the army during first world war though his age would have been advanced and it was a Scots regiment, Dorothy was one of my mums Aunts.
                Father being "dec'd" on a wedding cert sometimes covers up one of several inconvenient truths, e.g.: parents separated/divorced; "father unknown" on the birth cert (if he's dead he can't contest the description he's given on the marriage record).

My mother's parents' marriage cert shows her mother's father as dec'd, but he didn't die for another 16 months. My parents' marriage cert shows my father's father as "dec'd" but my research shows that someone who seems to be my grandfather didn't die until 26 years after my parents marriage... in another country.

Divorce was prohibitively expensive for almost all but the wealthiest. Bigamy was very possible in the days before so many computerised records.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                X