Dorothy Casey 1916

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorothy Casey 1916

Dorothy E Casey, Mothers maiden name also Casey - born 11/08/1916 in Camberwell, London

I have her birth registration

Her marriage registration

also her death registration

But I am struggling to locate her parents, I know she was evacuated during the 2nd world war from London to Staffordshire with the eldest 4 children, the rest being born in Staffordshire and I have the details of all my uncles and aunts, etc.

Steve

Sorry to be thick, but not sure what you mean by "trying to locate" her parents - do you mean before 1916 or do you want to know what happened to them after 1916?

As it looks very much as if she was illegitimate, you will probably only get her mother's name from the birth cert, but that would be a start. It does look as if one of the younger children was re-registered, perhaps Dorothy's mother married?

Also...why would DOROTHY, aged 25, be evacuated in WW2?

OC

Comment

Steve

Ignore my post above, it looks as if Casey married Casey! In which case, if you get Dorothy's birth cert it will name her parents, although you could track back the Casey couple who married in the meantime.

Still puzzled by the reference to her being evacuated in WW2. She may have been, of course, if she was a young mother with children, but she wouldn't have taken her older siblings with her under an evacuation scheme - they would all have been doing some kind of war work.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

Still puzzled by the reference to her being evacuated in WW2. She may have been, of course, if she was a young mother with children, but she wouldn't have taken her older siblings with her under an evacuation scheme - they would all have been doing some kind of war work.

OC
        My initial reference to the evacuation is from her personal account to me while she was still alive.

Comment

In my experience wartime evacuation can mean two very different things.

1)There was the government/local council evacuation scheme to remove city/town children from centres of potential danger to the safety of rural areas

2) There were private evacuation arrangements made by others who wanted to escape bomb threatened/damaged cities.

The village where I live was used for both kinds of evacuation. Schools from firstly Sunderland dockland and then later badly bombed Hull were removed to a remote rural area and billeted with most households.
          Other couples/families rented/bought any available vacant properties in the village (often as a second home) in order to gain some escape from the constant night-time bombing of Hull. For some, this meant a weekend only retreat for the menfolk or working couples -there was no daily public transport so how they got the petrol I don't know; at least one man was fined for breach of regulations.
          Some of these people kept on the cottages post WW2, eventually retiring here at the end of their working lives.
          There were also women with families and husbands overseas who "came home to Mum" because they couldn't get a house, had been bombed out etc.

Which category do you think Dorothy belonged to?

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I'm not sure, I know she had a child in 1939, 1940, 1941 and 1943 who were all born in London area, the rest born in 1947, 1949 and 1952 respectively were all registered in Staffordshire. So whether the government moved her out with the young babies and then they stopped in Staffordshire or they moved themselves, unless can find some record may never know??

Comment

There is a marriage between David Casey and Sarah A Casey 1914 4th qtr Lambeth which I think was combined with Camberwell at the time -not sure.
              Lambeth 1d 681
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Yes after 1901 parts of Camberwell/Lambeth/Greenwich/Southwark were moved around with the boundary changes.
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 10-01-14, 17:22.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I'm sorry, I assumed when you said with the oldest four children you meant her siblings! Evacuation to me is a WW2 thing primarily for young children and by 1943 it had mostly stopped, but of course she may have gone under her own steam to relatives etc - Staffordshire is a long way from London.

Kat - your post #7, yes, that's the Casey/Casey marriage I found.

OC

Comment

Susan

That's interesting - I'm not seeing any Collyer/Casey marriage though, and I wonder why she said her maiden name was CASEY, not Collyer?

OC

Comment

Susan

That's interesting - I'm not seeing any Collyer/Casey marriage though, and I wonder why she said her maiden name was CASEY, not Collyer?

OC
                      OC, I'm not totally convinced David and Sarah are Dorothy's parents as Sarah Ann was 46yrs when she married in 1914, she'd have been 48 when Dorothy was born - not impossible but...........
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-01-14, 22:07.

Comment

Ah, right, so maybe I was on the right track after all, lol!

Steve, I think you need to get Dorothy's birth cert to see what her parent's names are, otherwise it's just a guessing game.

OC

Comment

Ah, right, so maybe I was on the right track after all, lol!

Steve, I think you need to get Dorothy's birth cert to see what her parent's names are, otherwise it's just a guessing game.

OC
                          I definitely agree the birth certificate is essential.

Comment

Susan

OC
                            She married 3 times, first to Thomas Canarn May 1890, then to Patrick Joseph Casey Apr 1901 and finally to David Casey.

I think Patrick Joseph and David Casey were brothers - both had a father named Timothy.
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-01-14, 22:32.

Comment

I have contacted my eldest uncle to see if he has any other records before I order copies

Comment

Susan makes a good point though, that Sarah would have been 48 when Dorothy was born - not impossible but rather unlikely. I am always looking for a teenage unmarried daughter when mum suddenly gives birth in her late 40s!

OC

Comment

parish records usually include the real parents names though. i have an aunt in the early census listed as a daughter, but when ancestry released the west yorkshire records, her baptism was there, and she was the eldest daughter's child.

so the birth cert may say one thing, and a christening if found, might say another.

Comment

Yes I agree Kyle, I have exactly the same thing in my own tree. In this case though, I suspect the BC might tell the truth because the birth is registered as Casey/Casey and not Casey/Collyer as it ought properly to be if Dorothy is Sarah's own child.

OC
                                    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 11-01-14, 08:49.

Comment

I can see the death in 1898 Lambeth for Thomas Canarn (only 40) but no death for Patrick J Casey that fits before her marriage to David.
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                      X