Error on a birth certicate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error on a birth certicate

A contact of mine has a birth certificate which shows no middle name, but Ancestry, FMP and FreeBMD all show (the same) middle name. The birth cert is supposed to be a "certified copy of an entry in the Register" but it looks like in this case the copy was done incorrectly. Has anyone else ever come across this? What action if any should the certificate owner take?
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Is the certificate a recently obtained one, or one that was obtained at the birth registration? Are they certain it is the certificate referred to in the index? There can be a surprising number of similar names registered at similar times.

If it has been bought recently they could contact the GRO or local register office it was bought from and query the accuracy of the copy. I would hope it would be replaced if an error is discovered.
    Anne

Comment

How old is the certificate ? If it was made when the birth was registered, maybe they were not so careful back then ? If its recently purchased, I would contact the issuing body and see if they will issue a correct copy at no extra cost.

My birth certificate had an error in my mothers maiden name since I was registered, and I had to have it investigated before it could be corrected so I could apply for a passport. We also think my fathers name is incorrect on his birth certificate, but there is crease right on that spot and the difference has never been spotted and queried (but I would not like for him to apply for a passport nowadays).

Di
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I wonder if this is similar to my birth certificate? Maybe she was only known to have a middle name and it wasn't official?
        For years I was told I had a middle name, Louise as I was christened at birth and named after 2 midwives. I was also re-christened at my local parish church a few weeks later and apparently they changed the order of my names.

When I married I used my middle name and when I had my children I used my middle name, then and I cannot think why, I saw my birth certificate and it only had my first name on it?
        It's as well I am doing my own family tree, so my family don't have to unravel my name/s on my marriage & birth certificate and their birth certificates.
        Last edited by TwigletNumber5; 07-01-14, 23:26.
        Twiglet

Comment

Working...
        X